Chapter 9 - Weasel

Tarrlok had set up a gala for Korra. My father says it is a ploy to try and get Korra and I to join the force against Amon. I had my formal air nomad robes on and my hair pulled back in a tight braid which my mother had done for me. I walked with Korra into the city hall, the Avatar looked around in disbelief, "I can't believe this is for me,"

"Remember Korra, be careful, my father is right. This is to try and get you to join the task force." I say. The hall was full of people both familiar and not. I nod to Korra and we both share a smile before I weave through the dense crowd. I spot a familiar head of black hair, I place my on his shoulder and the boy turns around. "Bolin," He smiles at me and his cheeks go red as he glances at my clothing. 

"Hi, Ni, I'm so glad you're here." He glances around and he looked claustrophobic in the crowd of people. I grab his hand and guide him off to the side where my younger sister stood over desert table eating berries. "You look really pretty, by the way." 

I turn to him and blush, "Thank you, you look handsome in your suit," We both stand in front of each other awkwardly for a moment before Bolin stutters something out. 

"Would you like to meet Asami?" Bolin asks, I look at him confused and he drags me towards Mr Sato, a woman who had her arm linked through Mako's. I glance at Korra who stood across from them with an annoyed glint in her eye. 

"How did you two meet?" The Avatar finishes, Bolin slides in between the two. 

"Asami crashed into him on her motorbike," He explains quickly, I cover my mouth as I laugh at the bizarre meeting. Bolin glances between Korra and I, as the latter asks if her crush was injured. I smile as Lin walks towards us, Tarrlok puts his arm around Korra turning her towards the chief of police. 

"Cheif Beifong, I believe you and Avatar Korra have already met," Tarrlok says with a smile. 

"Just because the city's throwing you this big todo. Don't think you're someone special, you have done absolutely nothing to deserve this." Lin says staring at Korra with her normal emotionless face. Korra glances at me as Lin offers me a smile before walking away. 

Korra and I walked with Tarrlok as he showed us around the City Hall. I had been here many times before with my father and my great-uncle but there are still rooms that I have seen before like the huge library. He brought us to the stairs so we could reenter the gala, I freeze at the top of them as I spot the army of reporters fighting for the best spot. Tarrlok pushes me done the stairs so I'm at the same height as Korra. "If you would be so kind, they just have a couple questions," Tarrlok says. I glare at the weasel disgusted as a councilman. 

"Avatar Korra and Master Nini, you have both witnessed Amon take away people's bending. First hand. How serious a threat does he pose to the innocent citizens of Republic City?"

"We think he presents a real problem," Korra states still startled by the attack of reporters. I stare at them all panicked as they focus their questions on Korra, I feel her hand slip into mine. 

"Then why have you refused to join Tarrlok's task force? As the Avatar and the youngest airbending Master, shouldn't you be leading the force against Amon?" They begin to hammer Korra and I. I stay quiet trying to focus on myself to not allow Tarrlok's strategy to pressure me into joining the force. "Why are you backing away from this fight?"

"I'll join Tarrlok's task force and help fight Amon." I let go of her hand and all the reporters turn to me satisfied by Korra's submission. 

"Master Nini, you have stayed silent, what you going to do about Amon?" A reporter yells. My fist clenches and I look down at where my family and friends wait for my answer. I take a deep breath and lay my eyes on the group of media. 

"I'm a Master of Airbending not fighting or wars. My culture and teachings are about keeping harmony with acts of peace. If this fight continues to grow and hurt my family or friends in anyway. I will join the fight but I see none of these things happening so I will continue to be a Peace Keeper." 

I push through the reporters and walk out into the night. Tarrlok may have been able to trick Korra but I wasn't made a Master just because of my abilities as an Airbender.