Chapter 14 - You don't know him

I looked at Korra stunned as she told us that she overheard Mr Sato, Asami's father, speaking over the phone and it sounded like he was in association with the Equalists. "So think that Mr Sato manufactured those gloves for the Equalists then framed Cabbage Corp?" My Father questioned, taken aback by this information. 

"That's a bold accusation but what proof do you have?" Lin asks, her arms folded staring at the Avatar. If what Korra say is true, this puts us both in an awkward position. Asami has already lost her mother and now we are in the process of trying to take her father away. 

"I don't exactly have proof but I know what I heard. Sato's up to something." Korra states, I nod and let out a small sigh. Everyone turns to me as I clasp my hands in front of me while trying to find the words. 

"He has the means and he has a motive," I say, Lin and Dad nod while Korra looks between us confused. She asks what his motivation is, "Twelve years ago, the Agni Kai Triad robbed Sato's mansion. A fire bender killed Sato's wife during the break-in." 

Her face fell and I think back to the day I first read what had happened. I was 4 years old when it happened but I remember reading about it while going through the council chambers library. The Satos' had done so much for the city so they are highly respected and Mrs Sato's death rocked the city. 

"It was tragic, it's possible that he's been harbouring anti-bending sentiment all this time," Dad says I look at the others as Lin says that the police should watch his movement closely. It was sad to think that friends were beginning to turn on friends. 

I enter the Sato mansion by my Dad's side with Lin and Korra, the butler who had let us in much to the confusion of Asami and Mako who stood on the stairs. We walked past them and it took every part of me to not apologise for what we were doing here but we were doing what is best for the city. 

"What's going on?" Mako questions stopping Korra, I stop a few steps up and look down at my friends. My heart was heavy as Korra bluntly told Asami why we are here and that's because we are investigating her father for crimes against the city. Asami rushes past me to get up to her father's office, as she passed me she just glared. That just took another chip of my already broken heart and I felt myself fighting back tears. 

"There questioning him not arresting him, please calm down," I call after her in a feeble attempt to stop her but I knew she wasn't going to back down without a fight. She was a proud and strong-minded woman, which is one of the many reasons I look up to her. Mako follows after him and bumps my shoulder with his pushing me to the side. I hiss in pain as I rub my shoulder but he just glared and continued on his way to the office.  

Lin and Dad stand in front of the rich man questioning his activities and associations with the Equalists but I could feel the anger and annoyance in the room. My mind could not stay on the matter in front of me and kept creeping into the depths of my guilt.

He denied the allegations but because of a surprise witness, we stood in the Sato Mansion's private workshop. We all watch Lin as she reveals the bottom of her feet to use her bending to detect any strange cavities or tunnels. It was a technique that her mother, Toph Beifong had taught her. 

"There's a tunnel beneath the workshop running deep into the mountainside." She announces. Asami steps forward in anger trying to defend her father against the chief of police, we would all do the same in her shoes. Lin metal bends a layer of metal revealing stair and elevator, Asami steps back as Bolin inches up to her. 

"Do you think your Dad knows about this tunnel?" He whispers in her ear. I watch them carefully, I have missed him over the week of them being angry at Korra and me but I was doing my duty to Republic City. 

"I don't understand, there must be an explanation." She mutters in disbelief. I place a hand on her shoulder and she looks at me. She looked so confused and disappointed. 

"Maybe you don't know everything about your father, I'm sorry," I say. 

The officers walk towards the tunnel with Korra and my father following close behind. My Dad and Lin turn to us, "You four stay up here. Officer Song, keep an eye on them." 

The four of us turn to look at the saluting officer before watching the group slowly ascend down into the dark tunnel.