Chapter 10 - Avatar Island

I stare out the window with my knees tucked into my chest looking out at the bright city. Korra had been out most days with Tarrlok's Task Force. She had been missing Fire Ferret Practices, Airbending Trainings and Family dinners. I hear someone enter my room and Ikki stood in the doorway munching on a banana. "Why are you sulking?"
"I'm not sulking," I state, she rolls her eyes and walks to her room. 

"You're the strong one for saying no!" She yells as she enters her room. I glance at the dark hallway, it had been weeks since the Gala and the Island had return to its pre-Korra ways though she still lived on the island. I hear Korra's heavy footsteps enter the hallway, I rush into the hallway and she looks at me. 

"I'm coming with you," She looks at me and shakes her head. Korra had just demanded that Amon meet her on Avatar Island and the middle man in this fight, it was my duty to be with them when they met. "You're not going alone,"

"Fine but if you get hurt it's your fault," She said not looking at me, she enters her room and changes into a fresh set of clothes. I follow her out and we go to the wharves, Tarrlok waits for us and I could see my Dad rushing after us. 

"Korra, this is madness." He turns to me as I step onto the small boat, "Nini, get off that boat." 

"Don't try to stop me or follow me." Korra orders, she unties the boat and we drift off into the harbour. I use my airbending to speed up the trip, we sit in silence as the water is still around us. We decide to sit up the top to keep an eye on the area, hours go past and Amon was a no show. I stand up and walk over to Korra slowly. 

"I guess Amon is a no show," She follows my lead and looks out into the harbour, a stern look on her face. It took a lot of guts to come here to face the cities biggest fear, Amon was a dangerous man and I knew he scared Korra. Even if she didn't want to admit it.

We walk along the base of the statue towards the dock, I feel the air shift and I leap into the air. A set of bolas was thrown at each of our feet, they missed me but a second pair wrapped around my ankles. I screamed as I was dragged into the darkness. 

My breaths were laboured as I looked at Amon, it felt like I was in one of my many nightmares. He stood in front of Korra, who looked was shaking, I pulled at my restraints but one of the chi stoppers took a step towards me making me stop. "I received your invitation, young avatar." His eyes fall onto me and my heart starts to race, "Out showdown, while inevitable is premature. Although it would be the simplest thing for me to take away your bending right now, I won't. You'd only become a martyr. Benders of every nation would rally behind your untimely demise but I assure you, I have a plan. I'm saving you for then you'll get your duel and I will get to destroy you." 

He starts walking towards me and Korra glances between us. I felt my body tense up and my muscles twist, I couldn't move at all. He stares down at me as Korra yells behind him. He puts his thumb on my forehead, "I have no need for you," I felt my body become weak and I fall to the ground. My cheek resting against the cold concrete, I see Amon walking away with his followers. I tried to lift my head but it felt like someone was holding it down. 

"Nini?" I heard someone calling my name, each blink becomes longer as I struggle to keep my eyes open. "Nini!" 

"Dad," I try to say but it comes out as a whisper. I see his footsteps running towards me, he lifts me up into his lap. I stare up at him and he had tears in his eyes, "Amon..."

"You're so cold, we are going home right now." He says softly wrapping something around me, I clench my eyes shut as tears roll down my cheeks. 

"He took my bending away," 

My eyes stayed locked on the ceiling as the sun rose and fell. The shadows of the people entering my room danced across my roof, I didn't say a word all day. My greatest fear had come true, I was no longer an Airbender which meant I was a girl with meaningless tattoos. I have dedicated my whole life to the Air Nation and Airbending but this was to be my faint. Someone storms into my room and my Mum's face comes into view, "Come on get up!" 

"Leave me alone," I mutter rolling away from her, she pulls my covers back and grabs my shoulder. She pulls me back towards her so I'm facing her, she had a cross look of her face and she rubbed her stomach. "Please,"

"No, you have been in here for two days. I'm sorry that your bending was taken away but you can't lay in here the rest of your life!" She shouts. I sit up and glare at her. Tears started flooding my eyes, how could she be so insensitive. "You are a brave girl that had accomplished so much don't let this set back stop you from reaching your dreams." 

"My dream was to become respected for leading the next generation of Airbenders, I can't do that if I'm not an Airbender," I say. I get up and wrap my robe around myself, I walk out into the hallway where my siblings stand watching me sadly. My Mum yells after me and tells me to stop, "But it's not like you cared about my dreams, you've always wanted a non-bender child. Your dream has come true." 

Her shoulder fall and she stares at me speechless, I turn away and walk out of the hallway into the cool night. The city shone in front of me, both benders and non-benders went on with their lives as others try to survive their destroyed ones.