Chapter 8 - Councilman Tarrlok

I cry out as my body tenses, it shook trying to move but I could feel every muscle in my body cramping. My arms were contorted unnaturally behind my back and I was pushed to my knees. I stared up at the lights above me tears streaming down my cheeks, Amon's face covers the lights. "Please no! Please don't do this to me, I can't lose my bending!" He presses his thumb against my forehead, I close my eyes and feel a shooting pain through my body. 

My eye's fly open and I sit up panting, I look around the room. I relax as I realise I'm still in my bedroom where I had fallen asleep hours ago, I pull the sheets off me and walk to the window. I wipe the sweat off my forehead with my sleeve. I crawl up onto the window seal and bring my knees to my chest. Lena yawns as she wakes up, her small body still curled up in the armchair in my room. She glides over to me and snuggles against my chest, "Hey there, I'm sorry to wake you again." She chitters and closes her eyes as rub her back. "Just another bad dream, nothing to worry about."

I stared out the window until the sun slowly rose over the city. I get up slowly and gently put Lena on my bed, I cover her with my sheet. I put my robes on and walk out into the courtyard. I look around as the sun starts to touch each tree. I found dawn to be the most beautiful time of the day and though I had been getting a lack of sleep following our encounter with Amon, I appreciated that I was now able to see this Golden hour. 

I sit cross-legged at the dining table with my family between my Mum and Meelo. Our heads were bowed as we performed the daily thank you, "We are grateful for this delicious food, for happiness, for compassion, and-" 

We all glance up as someone knocks on the door, "I'm not interrupting am I?" It was Councilman Tarrlok, I've met him a few times when I have visited my Dad at work. He was nice enough but Dad said he is a very sly man who tries to benefit himself before anyone else. He bows to us and walks into the room further. My Mother and I share a glance, she looked quite annoyed at the intrusion. 

"This is my home Tarrlok," My Dad says standing up, I could not understand what made Councilman Tarrlok think it was a good idea to interrupt our family time. "We're about to eat dinner." 

"Good, cause I am absolutely famished," He says sitting down next to Korra, he glances around the table at all the blank faces watching him. My Dad glares at him, "Airbenders never turn away a hungry guest, am I right?"

"I suppose," Dad mutters, Mum glares at him but he just shrugs his shoulders. 

"Master Nini, it is good to see you again. You have grown so much since the last time we met," We bow our heads to each other then he turns to Korra, "The Famous Avatar Korra, It is truly an honour. I am Councilman Tarrlok, a representative from the northern water tribe."

"Nice to meet you," Korra says bowing her head. I watch as Ikki leans towards Tarrlok, I stare at her and she smirks at me. 

"Why do you have three ponytails?" She sniffs the air around him while he stares at her disgusted and confused. "And why you smell like a lady? You're weird."

"Ikki-" I scold quietly as she pokes her tongue out at me. 

"Well aren't you, precious?" He says trying to be polite, Ikki glares at him. He turns his attention back to Korra, "So I've been reading all about your adventures in the papers, infiltrating Amon's rally. Now that took some real initiative."

"Thanks, I think you're the first authority figure in the city who's happy I'm here," Korra says, glance down at my food and push it around with my fork. It was true that Korra had been seen more as a nuisance than a gift by city officials, including my Dad in isolated events. I shove some vegetables into my mouth as Tarrlok continues to grovel to Korra.