Chapter 1

A/N: If you want to see something changed, don't hesitate to speak up. I want to get this work as close to flawless as possible.

CATO'S POV

The anticipation. The agony. The apprehension. The sheer torture.

I fidget nervously as I stare at the cold, metallic wall of the train, anticipating our arrival at home. My fingers involuntarily tap one another and warm, moist beads of sweat trickle down my forehead. The sudden rush of adrenaline makes my head hurt. I run my hand through my hair to release some of the excess energy in my system.

I don't understand why, after everything, I feel calm, cool and collected on the inside, even though my physical appearance and would suggest otherwise. Having endured the Hunger Games, I should be able to rest, relax, and claim my rightful role as a symbol of honor that can make the ladies swoon and the guys envious--just by being me.

In short, it's nice to know that don’t have to keep my guard up anymore or wonder if I’m going to wake up the next morning with a spear pointed at my throat.

But...even after everything that happened...

I still made it. Out. Of. The. Arena.

I almost feel like pinching myself. I must be dreaming.

I’ve longed for this moment for many years.

However, something still doesn’t feel right.

I should feel like popping open a champagne bottle and spraying it all over everyone in this car. I should be able to throw a rave and invite everyone in town to place me on the throne that I deserve.

But, for some reason, the desire to celebrate just isn't sinking in for me.

Even though everyone else in District 2 is probably throwing huge parties right now, there's more on my mind besides the win and coming home, even though my nagging instincts try to tell me otherwise.

The worst part about it? I don’t know what’s making me feel concerned.

Clove and Enobaria seemed strangely moody today, but that’s their problem, not mine. Nothing was said or done earlier to make any of us scared about the future. Their attitude must have rubbed off on me or something. I don’t know.

I told Clove that I’d have her back for the time being, but I still don’t know why she’s in such a bad mood. She should try to relax, for once.

**********

I'm only realizing just now that I might have forgotten to put on deodorant this morning.

Since Clove is still standing right next to me, I don't want her or anyone else in this train car inhaling the vapors wafting from under my sweaty arms. My arms and shoulders involuntarily stiffen as I try to hide the only visible symptom of my physical discomfort.

This is embarrassing. I never get nervous. Why the heck am I sweating when I should be getting ready to enter District 2 in style?

It’s excited sweat. That’s what it is. It’s that sudden burst of energy that comes with feeling pumped, knowing that the best is yet to come. It’s like one of those rare, but amazing sleepless nights, knowing that something great will happen on the following day.

I wish we had a bunch of champagne bottles right now. Best. Idea. Ever.

"What made you so nervous all of the sudden?" Clove jeers at me, somewhat disdainfully. She must have noticed the stiffness in my posture.

"Absolutely nothing at all," I explain plainly.

I hope she didn't notice the pit stains under my arms. Now is not the time to lose my cool.