Chapter 12

CLOVE'S POV

An annoying buzzer blaring in my room disrupts my sleep cycle and wakes me up.

I quickly get up and try to locate the source of the cacophonous sound, having no prior knowledge of its origin. I didn't set the alarm clock last night, nor did I have any devices turned to the "on" position the night before.

It occurs to me that the annoying sound comes from the large monitor mounted on the wall. I pick up a signaling device on my dresser and point it to a strange monitor mounted on the wall on the other side of my bed. I aim the device at the screen and push the red button on the center of it, which silences the noise. That’s much better.

Even though I woke up before I was ready, that was the best sleep I had in weeks. I didn't even have any haunting nightmares last night. I feel a subtle grin forming across my lips, once again enjoying one of the many perks of being a Victor. I have no obligations whatsoever this morning.  

I look out the window to find the sun rising over the distant peaks. I realize now that the ceiling in my new room has no cracks, leaks or water damage. I hated that old room I lived in for so long. It felt so stifling.

The case of throwing knives I put on my dresser catches my attention. I unlock the case and withdraw the longest and most slender knife from its sheath. Turning towards the dartboard on the wall, I quickly twirl the weapon between my fingers and flick my arm toward the dart board. The slender blade embeds itself into the bull's eye.

I quickly grab two more knives, one in each hand, tossing both of them at the same time. They hit the board simultaneously on opposite sides of the first knife. Right where I aimed. Perfect.

I guess I still have the magic touch.

I change my clothes for the day and head out into the hallway towards the stairs. I descend the stairs and head towards the kitchen to find Father seated at one end of the long table. I notice an Avox servant setting out a massive assortment of breakfast-related dishes in the center of the table. This lifestyle is beyond more than what I dreamed of before the Games.

I grab three sausage links and a plateful of eggs and take a place at the end of the table opposite Father. I don't know whether he’ll work anymore, but he'll probably try his best to maintain the sentiment he expressed when I came home.

He probably wants to set the best example he can for me. I want to tell him that he doesn't have to work anymore, but he’d probably maintain his routine anyway for the sake of me. Maybe he'll get over the loss of Mother and go back to the way things were before training.

Deciding to leave him alone before he decides whether or not to work today, I take my plate up to my room and lie back down on the bed. I savor each bite from my plate, knowing that every meal will be just as satisfying as this one. It's much easier to appreciate trying something new having grown up in squalor.

As I look toward the window, I quickly look back at the monitor that woke me up to find it projecting something. It looks like a message:

"Clove Valora Engstrom: You have received a summons to the Justice Building of District 2 at approximately 7:30 this morning. An escort at the front door will show you the way to your pertinent location. Please arrive on time, if not early and be prompt.

~The Most Honorable Capitol of Panem"

That thing that woke me up...that loud noise was no alarm...but why would the Capitol need me at the Justice Building this morning? I certainly didn't do anything wrong! Why the heck would they need me here and now...?

I quickly throw on some socks and the shoes located at the foot of my bed, knowing where I need to be this morning. I scan back toward the dresser, noticing that the clock reads 7:39.