Chapter 31

CATO'S POV

A few days ago, I confessed to Clove that I liked her as more than my friend.

Unfortunately, she didn't take it too well. I guess she never figured it out sooner. Either that or she's too blind or complacent to see the truth.

I know she feels the same way. I caught her showing that emotion between her mood swings and it isn't doing her any good. I almost feel guilty deciding to let her write her own speeches and bomb the Tour, but she needs to learn a lesson first.

She should also learn to respect to fact that the Capitol is most generous and honorable for letting both of us go free from the arena.

I grab two of the knives on my dresser and quickly chuck them at the worn dartboard, channeling raw fury into the length of each blade. Neither knife hits the bull's eye, but they get pretty close. The sound that emits from the board feels even more satisfying.

I should seriously buy a better board. It’s only a matter of time before this one breaks and falls apart..

Having finished my morning ritual, I suit up, grab a quick bite to eat and head into town towards the training academy. Despite the incident a few weeks ago, I have absolutely no inhibitions about going back to the academy to try and work again. The last two injuries made things harder, but I’m going back anyway.

Clove didn’t need to waste her time. I can take care of myself.

As I head back into the training center, I almost immediately notice Titanius near the front door. He stops me before I can go any farther.

“You have guts to come back here,” he gruffs at me.

“I’m ready,” I stand my ground. “Let’s do this.”

“You didn’t have to come back,” he reminds me. “You could’ve saved yourself the trouble and found another craft. Why didn’t you chicken out?”

“What else is there for me to do?” I challenge him. “I’m here, suited up, and ready to learn again.”

“I told Miss Engstrom that we dropped you from our roster of trainers-to-be,” he reminds me. “She must have told you.”

“You told Clove that. Now tell me the same thing,” I challenge him back.

He pauses for a moment, reacting to my demand as if it was a surprise he didn't want to know about.

I know that they're in need of trainers. It's a risky job and it always will be for years to come. He knows it, too.

"Really?" He looks at me with surprise, mentally cornering himself in place.

"I'm still here," I insist, standing my ground. "I'm not going anywhere. Put me back on that list."

Titanius takes a deep breath and thinks for a few seconds before speaking. “Very well,” he gruffs, getting my point. “Let’s run you through the assessments again. We always need more trainers. There’s too low a supply for too high a demand.”

I didn't think he'd pass up an opportunity like this one.

We head over to the range and prepare to run through all of the tests. He turns on the lights and prepares some targets, wheeling out the weapon cart not too long afterward.

********

"Not bad," he remarks after the test ends. "You've been practicing. We noticed a substantial change in some of your scores, especially in knife-throwing."

"Well, What can I say?" I boast, milking Titanius’ praise for everything it’s worth.

"Not much," he replies. "It has to show up on more than one test to make sure that you didn't just luck out. You know you still have work to do, right?"