Chapter 34

CLOVE’S POV

Nothing can take my mind off the Tour any more. 

Our mentors told us that I would receive a message when they finished correcting my speeches. Nine days have passed since then, and they haven’t sent me anything yet.

I can’t go back to the foundries before we leave. I’ll just lose my focus and forget everything I tried to teach myself during the last few months. The whole process feels like a never-ending cycle: bad news, anxiety, weep, and repeat.

All I can do is sit here and wait for the Tour to begin. I would almost rather go back into the arena than talk to one of the other Districts about my win. As of now, there’s more uncertainty in the latter.

What scares me even more is the fact that neither Brutus nor Enobaria understand what’s happening here. Snow told us that our lives were at stake and they don’t seem to agree with it or care as much as they should. There’s no way I’m regarding what he said as an empty threat, even if they don’t seem to agree.

Nonetheless, the Capitol has more than enough power to put actions behind their threats, no matter how empty they seem. District 2 has always behaved favorably toward the Capitol, but I’m not taking any more chances.

For all I know, this may not be the end. The Capitol could summon me again for one reason or another and I may not be ready. For all I know, the life of a Victor could be worse than the life of a fallen tribute. It almost feels like being in an arena outside of the Arena.

Crunch time has arrived. It’s now or never.

But I can’t do this without good speeches…

WHY MUST I DECLINE HERE IN ANGUISH?!?

CATO’S POV

I tried to help Clove.

I’ve noticed her inconsistent behavior during the last few months. I’ve tried coaxing, complaining, shouting—nothing works. She’s just too stubborn to calm down.

Every time I try to help her, her mood swings. One day, she’s a perfect little angel. The next, she’s having an episodic and violent tantrum. I have no way to control her mood swings at all.

Speaking of which, that’s all she needs to do: settle down. The purpose of the Tour is to show the rest of nation just how flawless we are. I’m pretty sure that we’ll be the laughing stock of the Capitol if we act like children. 

Come to think of it, I think the president may have threatened us about something on the Tour…what was it again…?

Naaah, it’s probably nothing. We’re from District 2, for crying out loud. The Capitol loves us, especially me. I do my part by loving them back. They wouldn’t do anything to hurt us. Even if they did openly threaten us, they know how much support they would lose in the process. Besides, hurting us would violate the Treaty of the Treason.

Besides, what’s not to love about me? The fangirls will probably shit themselves at the sight of me alone. I’m too good-looking to be victimized by the Capitol. They know that I can function as one of their assets.

Screw correcting my speeches. They’re good enough by my standards. I could say just about anything and it probably wouldn’t matter. The Capitol will continue to shine the limelight on me, no matter what happens.

As for Clove, I don’t think I can say the same.

I tried to offer her my friendship and support, but she spat in my face every time. I want to think that Clove’s in good standing with everyone else. Even Brutus didn’t seem too concerned about the whole thing during rehearsal.