Chapter 23

CLOVE'S POV

"No more excuses, pinhead. Why are you staring at me?" I bark at him.

He just doesn't stop giving me that phony-looking puppy-dog face. It's kind of annoying.

"You want to know the truth?" his voice rises. "It fascinates me, Clover. I never got to do this before the Games without consequences. I can do that, right?"

I know he means no harm, but something still bothers me about that face. I guess it's because Cato's not that kind of person. He never says sweet things to anyone. 

Except me. Which actually makes it downright creepy.

"Of course you can, dum dum," I reply sarcastically.

"Must you sink to that low a level so frequently?" He releases some of his contained frustration. “You don’t have to follow your mentor’s footsteps, you know.”

"Only because you deserve it," I retort.

He shakes his head and shrugs his shoulders.

"Whatever, Clove. Have it your way. Good evening," he sighs.

As he sinks into his spot on top of the log, it strikes me as odd that he would’ve thought about taking me and himself into the night and braving potentially lethal careers just to have a nice quiet evening to ourselves. It feels different, for a change. The whole concept just has an odd sort of appeal.

I ignore his remark and continue to savor the unadulterated pleasure from the sugary amalgamation. As I finish the sensational creation, I look back at Cato, wondering what life might have been like if we hadn't gotten in so many fights with each other.

“Something on your mind?” Cato inquires, noticing the direction of my gaze.

"Um, yeah, as a matter of fact,” I answer him. “Why didn't we do this sooner?" I implore him, letting him gather his thoughts for a little while.

"Really, Clove? You were the one wanted to go man-hunting all that time back. Personally, I think you would've dreaded doing something like this," he explains. "Besides, you would’ve just run away from me anyway to go cut some guy's throat. Not to mention that you really can't go out at night anymore without a weapon."

"Unless you're in the main drag," I sarcastically reply, deciding to remind him about the last time we went out.

"DON'T.." he cuts me off, "...ever bring that up again, Clove. Not cool."

He sinks into his spot on the log and looks away from the fire.

**********

As I remain exposed to the chilly night air, I lean back on the log and get a good look at the stars. I can see them almost just as easily from the Victor’s Village, but the view from out here makes for a much more eye-opening experience. I never really noticed any elegance in the stars until now.

“Hey Clove, watcha lookin’ at?” Cato hoots, disrupting the serenity of the scene.

“Where do you think, bird brain?” I tease him sardonically, returning my frame of reference back to his face.

“Straight up?” he implores, seeming oddly confused by the direction of my eyes. “Is it raining or something?”

"Towards the sky," I answer bluntly, trying my best not to sound too soft. “At the stars. No rain at all.”

"No rain? Then would you mind if I joined you?" he requests, turning his head upward.

“Be my guest,” I accept his request and invite him to join in.