Chapter Four

Zendaya’s POV

Wiping the tears from my eyes, I hurry to rehearsal—I’m late and Val’s going to kill me. I run in and I see Val tapping his foot. I open my mouth, but he cuts me off immediately,

“Save it, Zendaya—you’re over a half hour late! What was so important that you had to miss rehearsal? This isn’t a game, it’s a competition, and if you aren’t going to be serious, then what’s the point? Is it really worth wasting time?”

I look down, “S—sorry Val…”

He raises his eyebrow, “Sorry? That’s all you have to say—sorry? Zendaya this is really unacceptable, I let loose for a while, and now you think you can do whatever?”

I’m already having a bad day, and Val yelling at me isn’t making it any better, “I’m sorry I was with T—Trevor, I’m sorry Val okay?”

“Seriously? You were with Trevor!? So your ‘little boyfriend’ is more important than the hard work you’ve put in this completion? What the hell Zendaya?”

That’s when I blow up, “VAL, I SAID I WAS FUCKING SORRY OKAY!? And he’s not my boyfriend; he doesn’t even like me—”

He sighs, “I tried to tell you…”

Tears form in my eye, “Oh, I bet you have that satisfaction of having to tell me ‘I told you so’ but I really don’t want to hear it, not from you Val. You of all people—you know what, we don’t need to practice today.”

“Dayachka wait.” Val says as he walks toward me.

“You know what Val, I came here from a shitty day hoping that dancing and spending time with my ‘best friend’ would get my mind off of things, but you just made it worse. Stop playing this façade, because I know you don’t care!”

I grab my duffle bag, but realize that my mom or dad isn’t here to pick me up, so I sit on the outside and just cry. I hear the door open, I look up at Val and I feel terrible for yelling at him,

“I’m sorry Val today has just been so overwhelming for me. I didn’t mean to yell at you, and I certainly didn’t mean to swear at you.”

He shakes his head, “No, I deserved it.”

“No Val you didn’t. I have been so stressed today. Bella and I had an argument, and she is the main person I vent to and she probably hates me now. I went out with Trevor and he said he sees me as a little sister and always will, yet stripped me down to my panties and bra the last time I saw him. I’m struggling in my school work, and on top of that, I just blew up at my only friend.”

Val pulls me close that my head is to his chest, I hear his heartbeat and it’s in sync with mine. I look up at him with my watery eyes,

Val frowns, “I am so sorry Dayachka, I didn’t know that all this was happening. I feel like a douche bag right now, I shouldn’t have yelled at you like that, and so what if Trevor doesn’t like you the way you like him, that just means he mentally insane, how could he not see that you are the sweetest and kindest girl ever.”

I smile, “Thanks Val, but I think I am more hurt about Bella and I than anything else. She’s my best friend, and if we aren’t friends anymore, then I don’t know what I’d do.”

Val leads me back in the rehearsal, and brings a laptop, I raise my eyebrow, “I thought we were practicing, what are you doing?”

“This competition will end, but great friendships shouldn’t, now log on to your Skype, and call your friend Bella.”

I shake my head, “No, she hates me.”

He smiles, “No she doesn’t no one could hate you Dayachka, just do it. What is there to lose?”