Chapter Six

Val’s POV

 I grab Zendaya’s phone, while she was asleep. I see Jay Howden so I press talk. The phone rings for a couple of seconds, but then he picks up,

“Did you finally decide that being with me is better than that old guy…?”

My body tenses up, “Look here you little punk, you don’t know what you put Zendaya through. Listen here and you listen good, you better take down the photo and explain to the media it was a hoax or else.”

He chuckles, “Or what? Val, I can put you in jail for statutory rape in a blink of an eye. Now you listen if you want me to say this picture is a hoax, I want you to do one thing—”

He stops talking and I clear my throat, “What is it—what do you want me to do?”

I can feel his sickly smile from the other line on the phone, “You need to break her heart. Tell her all these feelings you had and the kiss was just a game.”

“I—I can’t do that, I won’t.”

He laughs, “Then the pictures and text messages will keep on getting to TMZ.”

I think, and then I sigh, “You have to swear on your fucking life that you won’t hurt Zendaya if I do it, she means the world to me, and I hate seeing her hurt. Please promise me…”

“Whatever dude, I’ll do anything to get her to hate you and love me…”

I shake my head, “You are obsessive, just know she’ll never love you and you’ll never love her the way I do, I swear to fucking God, if I find out that you are doing shit to hurt her, you’ll regret the day you were born, do you hear me?”

“You know what you have to do, if you want the pictures down, you need to break her heart.”

I sigh, “Fine, I’ll do it…”

He laughs his sickly laugh and hangs up. I walk up back to the room, knowing that in order to save Zendaya from the hate, I need to hurt her. And I don’t want to, but I love her too much to let her get all of this hate. Tears roll down my cheeks as I open the door. She sits up in the bed, and smiles, “Hi Grumpy Bear—Val, you’re crying. What’s wrong?”

She gets out of bed, and hugs me tightly. I wrap my arms around her, knowing that it’s the last time I would have her in my arms.

I pull away from the hug, she wipes my tears and she leans in for a kiss. I drop my head dodging her kiss, I back away.

“Zendaya, we can’t do this anymore.”

Her eyes widen, “Do what?”

“The kisses, the flirting, the love—it has to stop.” Tears are still flowing out of my eyes.

She shakes her head, “Val, what are trying to say?”