Chapter 17

{Gabrielle}

I smiled. "The little girl is Leah Grace and where do you have in mind?"

"Rooftop of my building?" he asks.

"What is it with you and rooftops?" I asked, laughing.

"Great view," he says.

"Of course. But don't you have classes today?" I asked.

"I think I've already missed them," he said. I nodded, understanding. "Can you tell me one more thing?"

"Yes," I reply.

"What was your plan?"

"Plan?" I asked.

"Or idea. The one that Enjolras said was terrible. What was it?"

"Oh yeah that," I say. I sigh. "I was planning on running away." I say slowly.

"Running away?" he asked. I nodded. "You'd really leave everyone?"

"I didn't do it. I didn't even truly consider it. The whole thing with Grantaire just...overwhelmed me. I wasn't really thinking straight. I wouldn't have done it," I say. I know I wouldn't have ran away. I mean, I hadn't after all. I was here. There was an awkward silence.

"Courfeyrac?" I asked.

"I just don't understand it," he whispered. I don't think he meant for me to hear him. His gaze was fixed on the ground. He seemed frustrated with something, as if he was thinking about it and it was confusing him.

"Don't understand what?" I asked.

"Nothing," he quickly said. He smiled, but I could tell it was forced.

"Courf, I..." I start, but trail off. He was acting different. I mean, I guess I would too had the tables been turned. If I was in his situation, it'd be hard just to forget what happened. I had in some way lied to him, and I couldn't even remember what happened last night. "I shouldn't have gone yesterday. I should've stayed with you. Then, this mess wouldn't have happened," I say.

"It's not your fault," Courfeyrac says. He takes a few steps towards me and reaches out, grabbing my wrist. "It's not. I just think that...that we should try and forget this. If that's what you want too," he says. I nod.

"That sounds great to me," I say. Then I smile. "Already partly forgotten." He smiles.

"Come on," he says offering his arm. I smile and take it.

_________________________ {Gabrielle}

"Why did we walk all the way to your apartment building?" I asked him.

"I figured it's a nicer rooftop. It has a small garden and everything," he says. I smile. "Are you going to Cosette's tonight or your apartment?" he asked.

"We were having a girl plus Gavroche night at Cosette's," I say. "But that was before I was actually thinking like I am now. Would you like to do something? I already said we would yesterday."

"Oh that's fine. Have fun with 'Sette and Éponine. I think you should go," he said.

"Do you know what time it is?" I asked. I would be leaving at 2:30 in order to help Cosette with the night out.

"It's one o'clock now," he replied. I nodded. I wished it was 2:30.

It was awkward now. There was a sudden tension between us. We weren't acting the same as usual. He didn't have his arms wrapped around me. I wasn't leaning on him. We weren't laughing, talking, and occasionally kissing. He was sitting on one side of the very small bench and I was on the other. I was making a few futile attempts at a conversation. I was trying to forget all of the stuff with Grantaire and with him not talking that was making it more difficult.