A Good Welcome Home

Today started like the usual. I got up from my bed, got dressed, and made it so that I was presentable. I never wanted to look messy and disappoint or embarrass my Masters and Ladies. I must also be ready and clean just in case they have a visitor or two coming. As I exited the door, I saw the maids running around and panicing. Their faces showed distress and fear. Who had come to the Empire that could cause this much panic? I had never seen everyone get so worked up.

"Excuse me, Miss? What is happening? Who is coming here?" I had grabbed the arm of one of the maids and pulled her closer to me so I could hear her answer over the paniced whispers.

"Oh, Emii! How could you not know? Our High Priest is coming back today! We are preparing his room and 'welcome home' banquet!" Once she had answered me she ran away to complete her task.

Judar was coming back today from being in Sindria. Come to think of it, he had been gone for quite a long time. Longer than normal. Even if I do not enjoy his presence, I still had to help everyone get ready.

*~*~*

I stood beside many other maids infront of the gate. He should be arriving soon and we all had to be there to greet him and welcome him back.

"Here he comes!" "Yay! Master Judar is back!"

"He is so amazing!" "He has to be the best magi out there!"

I heard the girls squeal in delight as Judar approuched. I did not understand why the girls thought of him as 'amazing' and 'the best'. To be honest all it did was fuel his ego more. I could understand why they called him handsome, but if you are going to like a man then his personality and dreams should be just as important, if not more, than his looks. For example, why marry a handsome man, if all he is going to do is beat up and rip you to shreds? To me, things like this do not make much sense, but to others it was the easiest thing in the world. I sighed to myself. As much, as I love the Kou Empire and it's rulers, I wish that someday I could venture out and learn about the world and it's people.

"Hey, slave! Hey! Are you even listening to me?" My thoughts were interupted by an annoying voice. I tried to hold back my ugre to hit him. He just had a presence that made me want to beat him senseless.

"Yes, Master Judar? Forgive me for my lack of attention. I was off in the clouds." I replied with my usual stoic voice. How I hated that I had to endure this man's presence.

"Really now? The great and disciplined Emii off in the clouds? Day dreaming? I guess even boring characters like yourself can dream. How interesting. Anyway, along with me, Hakuei is back and needs you in the garden. Oh, and later I need to speak with you too. You know I hate it when people ignore me, so I might need to punish you." He said as he walked off into the palace. The entire time he had that damn smile on his face. That annoying fake smile. Sure, he looked happy, but behind that smile was a dark and cruel man full of hatred. My thoughts started to wonder to these things as I walked towards the garden.

*~*~*

"Ah, Emii, there you are! I was getting worried Judar had forgotten to tell you." Lady Hakuei was sitting on one of the benches in the garden. She often sat there when she and Judar watched Master Hakuryuu train.

"Yes, surprisingly. Anyway, what did you need, My Lady?" I bowed my head down in front of her.

"Oh, Emii, no need for honorifics. We are friends, okay? Just call me Hakuei." She giggled as I lifted my head.

"Fine, but Lord Kouen would disagree." I sat down next to her and waited for her to talk.

"No need to worry about him at the moment, he is dealing with Judar. About what I wanted to talk to you about. You see, I want you to find a small boy named Aladdin. He has blue hair and a red gem on his forehead. Can you do that for me?" She tilted her head.

"Yes, of course, but why? Is he a powerful magician? Or..." I was confused. Why did she want me to find this boy?

"Well, he is a Magi, same as our Priest, but he is much kinder and I was hoping for you to convince him to come here and speak with me once more. Can you please do that? The only information I have is from Kougyoku. She says he in Sindria with a blonde boy and Fanalis girl."

"Hakuei, you do understand that I am unable to exit out of the palace without one of the nobles with me. I am a bodyguard as well as a servant."

"I understand that, but the journey will only take you a short amount of time. You will be back sooner than you think. Do not worry, I promise to make sure no one knows you are leaving, okay?"

"I see, I will do this for you..."

"Oh, thank you, Emii! I knew you would!"

"But, I need to know why I have to? Why not one of our magicians or Judar?"

"You know Judar hates other Magis and people who could counter his own power. Also, I do not think I can trust many people here. At of all the servants, I think you are the most loyal and I know you can do this. I believe in you."

"Thank you, Hakuei. Thank you, for trusting me with this."

Once I had finished the rest of the talk with Hakuei. I got up and headed towards my room. I knew Judar would be there. He always snuck in and messed with me whenever I tried to sleep. He had also not given me any specific location so my best guess was my room.