Chapter Four: Last Day of Summer (Vacation)

Riley's POV

"Wakey. wakey. vanilla shakey yay!" I shout in Kaitlyn's ear as I shake her awake.

"Five more minutes," she says, burying her face into her pillow. I lie down next to her, propping myself up with my elbow.

"Sorry Kaitlyn, but I can't let you do that. It's our last day of summer vacation, and I have some things planned for us before we go to school tomorrow," I say. She turns her head to me, her hair across her face. Her eyes are squinting because of the bright light.

"Why'd you wake me up so early?" she asks.

"It's a school night, and what I have planned takes up the majority of our day," I tell her. She groans and buries her face into her pillow again.

"Riley, I really don't feel like doing anything today," she says. Ouch, that hurt.

"Okay," I say, and I get up. I climb out of the window I entered in, and I close it behind me.

As I walk back home, I can't help but feel like I did something wrong. Was it something that happened at the beach? I thought that our day with everybody went well. She was laughing and having fun, so I thought everything was okay. I guess I was wrong.

After wandering around for a few hours (I realized that I started to walk into the city. My mom would NOT be happy about that) I decide to go home. I walk through the door and and into the family room, lying down on the couch and across two laps.

"Everything okay?" I hear Connor ask. Emily pauses the movie that they're watching.

"Kaitlyn didn't want to go out today," I say.

"Why not?" Emily asks, playing with my hair.

"She didn't say. All she told me was that she didn't feel like doing anything today. I feel like I did something wrong," I tell them.

"Maybe she just wanted to be alone today since school starts tomorrow. Junior year is so important for college, so she must feel stressed about it starting," Connor explains.

"Maybe that's it. Alright, I'm going to go upstairs," I say, and I start to get up.

"No, stay. We don't mind," Connor says. Emily nods in agreement.

I sit down on the other side of Emily, and, to my surprise, she cuddles up to me. I look over at Connor, and he's looking down at her, smiling. I smile and put a protective arm around her, and we sit there, watching the movie like this.

**************************

"Hey Riley," I hear Kaitlyn say from behind my locker.

It's been a few days since our last day of summer vacation. She never texted or called like she usually does, so I decided that I should give her some time to herself. I smile at her in the hallway, but that's it. She hasn't said anything, so I feel like I'm doing the right thing.

"Why haven't you talked to me?" she asks.

Apparently I was wrong.

"I was giving you some space. I thought you wanted time to yourself, so I left you alone," I say, starting to walk away.

"Riley, if I wanted some space, I would've told you," she says, catching up to me. The bell rings.

"I'll talk to you later, okay?" I ask. She nods, and I kiss her quickly before running down the hallway to make it to class not TOO late.