Chapter Ten: Brazil

Connor's POV

"Emily, it's only for a few days," I say.

"I know, but you're in a different country. Anything could happen," she says, sniffling a little.

"Do you really think I would do that to you?" I ask.

"That's what my last boyfriend said, and yet it happened," she mumbles, and a tear falls from her cheek. I wipe it away from my thumb and lean my forehead against hers.

"I would never do that to you. I love you too much," I tell her. My flight gets called, and I kiss her forehead before walking down the tunnel. I turn and wave to her. She waves back, and the door in front of her closes.

That was a few days ago. Now that I think about it, she had every right to be sad. I'm sad. I feel like she found somebody better while I was gone. Since we're in different countries, I can't call her, so it's not like I can just call and check up on her.

"We will be landing in Orlando in a few minutes, so please put on your seatbelts," the flight attendant says over the intercom. I do what she asked, and I close my eyes.

After the bumpy landing, I take off my seatbelt and stretch my legs. Toby and Braiden do the same, and we grab our duffel bags from the overhead compartment. We get off of the plane slowly, and then all eight of us (Mom and Dad came along, and we had our friend, Chris, play bass at the concert) go to baggage claim. I grab my bag and slowly walk into the huge space that's a lobby? Meet up? I don't know what it's called. I look around, but I don't see the face that I want to see.

All of a sudden, lips crash onto mine, and I'm about to push the person away when I smell the familiar almond shampoo. I wrap my arms around her waist, and her arms go around my neck, holding on tight and pulling me closer.

"I missed you so much," Emily whispers when she leans her forehead against mine, the exact same way when I left.

"I missed you, too. I missed you so much," I say, and I hug her tighter.

"Alright, lovedbirds, we need to go home. That plane ride was long and bumpy, and Connor has a fever," Thomas yawns. I nod, and we all leave, lugging our suitcases behind us.

On our way home, I fall asleep on Emily's shoulder, but she wakes me up when we arrive. I trudge into the house with Emily rolling my suitcase behind me. I immediately take off my shirt and shoes and crawl into bed (I'm wearing sweatpants), and I lie on my back. I close my eyes, and I hear the wheeling stop. Emily pushes the hair back on my forehead and kisses it.

"Goodnight Connor. Feel better," she says.

"I love you," I mumble.

"I love you, too. Get some sleep." The light turns off, and the door clicks shut as she leaves. I feel my forehead warm up, so I grab a hat and put it on before falling asleep with three blankets, shivering my ass off.

********************

"Hey Connor, how are you feeling?" Toby asks, walking in.

"The truth?" he nods. "I feel like total sh-"

"Okay, I get it. You don't feel well. Just get some more rest, and then you'll be fine. You probably just got a cold from somebody down in Brazil. It happens," he tells me.

"What if it's something more?" I ask.

"We won't talk about that unless we cross that situation. I'm going to make you some tea with honey in it, okay?" he asks. I nod, and he leaves.

I continue to shiver, even though I even have the heated blanket. Man, this cold sucks. If it gets worse, I'm going to have to go to the doctor, and then they'll have to test me, and it could be something worse than I think it is.

"Riley, can you please get some more blankets for Connor? He's shivering like hes in a blizzard," my mother says. Riley nods, and he runs down the hallway to the closet.I close my eyes as I hear him come back, and four or five blankets are thrown on top of me,

"Thanks buddy," I whisper.

"No problem. I hope you feel better," Riley says, I nod, and he walks out. Toby comes back in with a steaming mug of tea.

"I know tea isn't your favorite drink, but this always helps me get better," he tells me.

"Thanks Tobes," I say.

"Anytime. I'm going to call Emily to give her an update. You are going to sleep to fight this fever." He walks out and turns off the lights. I gulp half of the hot tea before putting the mug back on my nightstand and passing out under now seven blankets and my comforter.