Chapter Seventeen: Broken

Emily's POV

I didn't want to do it, but I had to. I really did. He just wouldn't stop asking.

*As soon as I log onto Skype, I get a call from Connor. Here goes nothing, I think to myself.

"Hey!" he cheers when he pops up.

"Hi," I say, my wave a little limp.

"Em, what's wrong?" he asks, his eyebrows knitting together.

"Nothing. I'm just really tired," I say.

"Are you sure it has nothing to do with Ryan?" I roll my eyes.

"What, I can't be tired? I'll just go to bed," I say. and I start to close my laptop.

"Wait!" he exclaims. "I'm sorry. I'm just worried that Ryan's going to try something again."

"I know. You tell me this every time I tell you that I'm fine and that he hasn't tried anything," I say, sounding annoyed.

"I'm just worried," he repeats.

"That's the problem, Connor! You worrying is causing you to forget how fun tour is! Don't worry about me! Have fun with the other bands, your fans, and most importantly, your brothers and friends," I tell him.

"You just want me to stop caring about you?" he asks,his voice raising a little. I shake my head and look to the side.

"I can't do this anymore," I mumble.

"What?"

"Connor, I need to break up with you. I'm sorry, but you need to forget about me while you're on tour. and the best way is to break up." I close my laptop before he can protest, and the tears fall.*

I never wanted to hurt him. I just want him to be happy, but I guess shattering his heart into a million little pieces isn't really helping him be happy.

Thomas has been talking to me, making sure that I'm okay. He knows what happened, and he knows why I did it. He texts me, asking about my day and how my job has been going. He asks about school and friends, and then we'll talk about tour. I asked about Connor one time, and when Thomas started telling me about him, he ended up grabbing the phone and trying to talk to me. He hasn't since, but I have a bigger problem.

I have to work their concert on the thirteenth.

*******************

"Emily, are you sure you're going to be okay?" Kaitlyn asks from the backseat.

"No, but I can manage," I say, gripping the steering wheel a little.

"Are you sure? We do have to follow your ex-boyfriend's band tonight and tomorrow," Mac says. I glance over at her with a glare. "Right. Not helping."

"Look, I just think that this isn't a good idea," Kaitlyn says.

"Kaitlyn, I love you and everything, but I need to face at some time, and when he comes home isn't going to be the best," I explain.

"Why not?" Mac asks.

"If I face him tonight and tomorrow, that's the only time I'll see him, and then a month will pass by before I see him again, which is when he'll be home for a while, which is next to my house. If I face him when he gets home, it will be non-stop with the questions and the begging," I tell them.

We pull in, and I grab my bag with my camera in it. I give Mac and Kaitlyn their press passes (I asked Stacey for an extra one) and we walk past the line.