12.

KENDALL

Hi Book-Girl,

Thank you for the birthday gifts, they were literally amazing. I am still so perplexed that you did them. Do you see that? I used a big word. I'm evolving.

But seriously thank you so much.

Obviously my birthday has past, it was pretty normal.

My best friend came over while my parents weren't home, we each had a beer and he tried to tell me that I should use the picks you sent. I told him I would probably never use them. They mean wayyyyyy too much to me.

Anyway, break started today, so this will probably get to you on either Saturday or Monday when we're already on break.

Attached is your Christmas present.

I know how attached you are to that composition book you said you have, and I know nothing could replace it, but I figured, I could get you started on a new one.

If you flip to the back page, there's a surprise for you.

Also I have one rule with this book; it doesn't go to school. I don't want to see it and figure out who you are. As much as I do want to know. This isn't the way to do it.

Have a good break; hopefully I'll talk to you more...

-Guitar-Guy

Kendall's hand traced over the green and white book carefully.

There were some carefully written quotes taped to the front of it, along with a Blink-182 sticker.

She carefully flipped through the book until she landed on the last page.

Written in Guitar-Guy's signature scrawl were the lyrics to 'The Party Scene.'

He had previously sent her some of the lyrics in a letter, but never the whole song.

She read the lyrics carefully, smiling. She tried to imagine what the lyrics would sound like being sung by an eighteen year old kid.

Kendall's smile brightened when she saw a note scribbled at the bottom of the page:

I'd figure I would share the song inspired by you. -Guitar-Guy

_________________

Tuesday came along and Kendall received a text message from Jack.

KENDALL!!! Hi, I miss you!! Okay so we're having a band practice tomorrow at Rian's and I want you there. We're having pizza too. I better see you there :-)

Kendall debated the idea of going. She knew that these boys were her friends; her first friends in years, but did they really accept her?

No matter how much Kendall just wanted to dive in head first, something always pulled her back.

Maybe she was too cautious; maybe she didn't have enough faith in herself. But whatever it was, she knew she needed to get over it.

She texted Jack back telling him she'd go.

He soon replied with a witty comment that made her laugh.

Somehow Kendall managed to keep a conversation going with the skunk haired boy and by dinner time, Kendall's parents could sense a shift in their daughter. They couldn't quite place it. She walked around with a smile plastered on her face and she just seemed genuinely happy.