27.

KENDALL

Kendall had to admit, she felt like a complete and utter dumbass for turning down the guy of her dreams.

Kendall had confided in Mrs. Clark after she sent her letter back to Guitar-Guy, and Mrs. Clark didn't tell her whether she was right or wrong, which sort of annoyed Kendall.

She knew he was going to be mad, furious even.

But what she never expected was such a calm and polite letter from him.

Dear Book-Girl,

Okay.

Honestly that's all I can say right now. I have to admit, that hurt a little but you're funny if you think I'll give up that easily.

I have a proposition for you.

Today I write on the first of May. Our AP exam is on the eleventh and our project officially ends the fifteenth.

This is the last letter I will write to you under the pen name of Guitar-Guy. I can't hide behind a curtain anymore. I'm sorry. I just hope you're not disappointed to find a guy who's awkward as fuck and not a wizard.

Sorry, I know you hate the Wizard of Oz.

So back to my proposition.

May fifteenth. I will be waiting for you at the corner of Thames Street and South Broadway at exactly six-thirty in the evening underneath the light post.

I was figuring we could go to the park over there that we inadvertently saw each other at. Or maybe grab a coffee. Mine with cream and yours with cream and two sugars.

Please consider coming.

Signing off for the last time,

Guitar-Guy

Kendall knew he didn't want a response back. She wouldn't want to write one anyway.

She was honest to gosh too stunned to even know what to say. Should she go? Maybe do a drive by and see who it is?

But that wouldn't be fair to him if she got to know who he was but he never got to find out who she was.

Kendall was lost up in the clouds; she didn't know what to do.

She folded the slip of paper and left it on her desk. She would deal with it later.

She rose from her desk and called to her mother that she was going out.

"Kendall, hunny come here first!" Her mother called as Kendall was about to slam the front door shut.

She groaned and entered the kitchen where her mom sat on her laptop.

"Yeah? What's up? I told the guys I'd be there at five, I'm running late," Kendall said.

"I was just wondering how you were doing. The panic attacks?" Her mother inquired.

"They come about once a week. I'm fine to drive if that's what you're wondering," she replied.

"No, I wanted to know. You haven't spoken about them often."

"Not really a great topic to talk about over dinner Mom," Kendall snorted.

Her mom gave her a glare, "You knew what I meant. What time are you gonna be home? You're not staying the night right?"

Kendall started walking away, calling over her shoulder, "No later than eight. Save me some food, they might have eaten mine already!"

She didn't wait for a response and closed the front door behind her.