6. Out at Moonlight

After a tiring day of double Charms, double Transfiguration, Herbology, and History of Magic, Ellie was ready to get to bed. However, she decided to take a nighttime walk, silently praying that Remus was going to be alright. How did he do it every month? With that thought she looked up at the sky and the clouds parted, showing a full moon, white as a dinner plate.

Nobody understood why Ellie did this, but she found calmness and confidence when walking by herself, even if she didn't know where she was going to end up. She finally ended up at the edge of the lake, beneath a big beech tree. She sighed and smiled. This was her home, and she wasn't going to let anyone take this unreal world from her. Here, at least, she didn't have to constantly be looking over her shoulder and seeking shelter and safety in her room and closet. She sat, contented by the water, looking at the reflection of the beautiful castle in its glassy surface. After an hour or so, when the moon was going down, Ellie assumed that she should go back up to the castle, as not to get into trouble. As she reluctantly got up, Ellie saw movement in her peripheral vision. She spun round, pulling her wand from her pocket. The first thing she saw, which didn't help her beating heart, was Sirius, his shirt torn so much it could've been a jacket. Sharply defined veins ran down his arm as he tried to support something. He looked concerned and caring, a look that deepened his already handsome features. She shook her head, clearing her mind, and saw that it was Remus being supported by Sirius. She noticed a deep gash on one of his long legs. She ran up to them, noticing James and Peter striding along in the other boys' wake.

"...Another month of skelegrow will do it I think Remus, and maybe some Pumpkin Juice and Chocolate Frogs?" That was Sirius. She had never heard such a concerned tone in his voice.

"I just need... castle." Remus muttered feebly.

"Remus!" Ellie said, running up to him and grabbing his other arm, supporting the other side.

"Ellie?!" Sirius sounded surprised and confused at her sudden arrival.

"Remus, are you okay?" Ellie said, ignoring Sirius completely and holding her wand up to Remus' face, recalling a memory from her childhood.

***

Remus was writhing on the grass behind his house, a black silhouette staining the dark green grass. His face was scrunched up, just as it was whenever he was working on a complicated spell to learn, but now there was a level of pain that Ellie had never seen before. It scared her. "Ellie, Ellie I don't feel good. You know the full moon doesn't make me feel good. My tummy hurts, but I don't want to eat. Ellie, I don't like this. I don't like this at all. Make it stop, Ellie," he was crying now, thick tears spilling from his face, as though his face was a full pail with which a child was carelessly running. A gripping hopelessness overtook Ellie's body and she stood, frozen, as her best friend lay seizing on the ground.

"What can I do Remus, what can I do?" She was crying too now, her wand hand shaking uncontrollably.

"Satisse, satisse," he groaned, "it'll stop the pain."

Ellie was still shaking, put she raised her wand and pointed it at the fallen Remus. One false syllable, and she could do something unrepairable. Focus, focus.

"Satisse," she said, her voice surprisingly steady, and a jet of gold light left her wand like a rope and coiled around Remus' body, so that all she could see was the outline of his body. He gasped with relief and his body came to a standstill. He lay, face down in the grass, breathing heavily. Ellie flopped down beside him, staring up at the sky.

"Turn over Remmy," she muttered, prodding him in the side. The whole incident seemed to have been forgotten, and she was looking with wonder at the star-studded expanse above her. Remus groaned in response, but obliged. He still hadn't figured out how to say no to her. "Look at the sky, Rem. I'm going to go there when I grow up." She gestured wildly to the sky, her arm sticking awkwardly up in the air. Remus managed a small laugh.

"What, into the sky?" He asked, tilting his head towards her, but she was enraptured by the blackness of the night.

"Might be nice to get away from all this." She said sadly, and Remus' heart wrenched.

"Ok." He agreed.

"Ok, what?" She said, finally turning to face him.

"If you're going, I'm coming with you El." He looked at her, and in the blackness, they were the only two in the world.

"Promise?" She said, her face splitting into a grin and sticking her hand out to Remus.

"Promise." He replied gently, placing his palm to hers. And in the moment, it didn't matter that Ellie was a Green and Remus was a beast. In this moment, Ellie and Remus were just kids, and that's all they had ever wanted to be. Even when Remus' mother found them the next morning, sleeping peacefully on the grass and gave them such a talking-to, they sneaked glances at each other, proud of their new plan.

***

"Remus hold still," Ellie commanded, her voice strong and her hand steady. Sirius and James stopped walking, "Satisse." Ellie performed the enchantment and Remus' facial features relaxed, the eleven creasing his forehead gone.

"Thanks." He said in a deep, clear voice, sounding healthy. The five of them stood, looking at each other for a moment. After a few moments of silence, when it seemed as though Sirius could stand it no longer, he burst out, "Why did you tell her?" pointing at Ellie and throwing her a scathing stare.

"I saw him get bitten, and I nearly did as well." Ellie threw Sirius a glare right back. Sirius blinked, and his demeanor changed immediately, his facial features relaxing and an easy grin taking over his face. He chuckled, smirked, and said, "Peter, James, take Remus up to the castle. I need a minute with our birdy friend." The others looked at him curiously but nodded. They were a funny group heading up to the castle, Peter almost jogging to keep up to Remus and James. Ellie gazed at them for a while as they made their way up to the castle, but finally her eyes fell on Sirius, and he grinned at her.