14. Quidditch Tryouts

Ellie was excited for Quidditch tryouts the following day. She rubbed her snitch all throughout breakfast that Tuesday.

"Calm down Lil!" Lily said, fanning Ellie with her copy of the daily prophet as Ellie rattled off a list of concerns. "I'm sure you'll do great." Lily continued with these encouraging undertones as Ellie went up to her dormitory to get her Cleansweep and kept on doing them all the way down to the pitch. "Go get 'em!" Lily squealed excitedly, taking her position in the stands.

"Right everyone, my name is Ella Johnson, and I am your team captain and chaser. Beaters will be practicing with the chasers, seekers will be practicing in a game-like way, and keepers will get half the field. I will now read out the names of the people trying out for each position. For seeker, Clementine Clarence, Alice Mass, and Rodger McLagan. Go over to the ball chest."

"Next, the beaters. If you don't have your club yet, go over and get it from the supply closet." Nobody moved. Ella put her pinched fingers to the bridge of her nose. "Now!" Everyone scurried to get one. "Right then, beaters are as follows: Grace Spinnet, William Johnson, Ellie Green, Sirius Black, and Collin Capers." Ellie grinned shakily at Ella, who stared at her, then moved on her list, speaking quickly, as though they didn't have any time on the pitch.

"As James is the only chaser trying out, he is on the team."

"Boo yah!" James yelled, fist bumping Sirius.

"Quiet." Ella said, staring sternly at James and Sirius, who, much to Ellie's surprise, quieted immediately. Finally, chasers: Chris Craw, myself, Ava Circe, and Cecelia West. Get into position!" Elle shouted.

Ellie didn't realize that the level of playing here would be so high. The game moved at lightning speed and she had no time to react. She spent most of her time soaring around the pitch and craning her head for the bludgers. Sirius, on the other hand, was an artist. She watched him for a few minutes, when she knew he wasn't looking. He was so graceful in his movements, and his bat form led ball straight to target every time.

Ellie left the pitch dejected, already knowing the outcome of the tryout, and slunk into the common room. Upon seeing Lily, she dragged her feet to the sofa in front of the fireplace and plopped down next to her, laying her head in Lily's lap.

"I failed!" Ellie said miserably. "I'm definitely not on the team."

"It's okay." Lily intoned.

"It is NOT okay." In truth, quidditch was one thing that Ellie thought she could excel at.

"Yes, it is." Lily said softly, brushing Ellie's hair with her fingers.

"No, it's not." Arguing was already making Ellie feel better.

"Is to!" Lily was grinning now.

"Is not!" They were acting like siblings.

"Okay, this is ridiculous. We are fighting about nothing."

"Well I like fighting about nothing."

"Well I don't!"

"I do."

"STOP!" They looked at each other and burst into laughter.

***

Five days later, the results of the Quidditch Tryouts were posted on the Gryffindor notice board. As Ellie looked, she also saw the note for the next Hogsmeade weekend. It was scheduled for Valentine's Day.

"Chasers- Ella Johnson, Cecelia West, and Chris Craw.

Beaters- Collin Capers and Sirius Black." Ellie sighed, not wanting to continue.

"Keeper- James Potter, and Seeker- Alice Mass." Ellie walked over to Lily and flopped dramatically over her legs.

"Ow, and I'm so sorry Ellie. But- you could ask someone for lessons..."

"NO!" Ellie shouted, standing up abruptly and stalking off. But the thought didn't leave her, and she found herself approaching the idea with an open mind. Two days later she walked up to the only person who could help her.

"Hey Sirius."