29. The Sixth Year

To the best of Ellie's knowledge, the rest of the summer for her friends passed without much chaos. James, Peter, Remus, and Lily had all attended a ball the same night as Sirius, so they had not come to his party. But, Ellie thought, as the scarlet steam engine came roaring up to the station, who could blame Lily...

She said goodbye to Spencer and his parents, thanking them again, and walked over to the first compartment. She rolled her eyes slightly as she saw the sight before her.

Sirius seemed to be in some sort of contorted headlock, his cheeks becoming redder and redder, while James, above, made his grip on Sirius' head tighter and tighter. Peter was laughing and egging him on, and Remus was sitting by the window, nose in a book. Ellie noticed however, how unfocused his eyes were, and the slight tilt of the corners of his lips. She slid the door open.

"Ellie!" Sirius gasped, "Ellie come closer. I need to tell you something in case Prongs kills me!" Ellie rolled her eyes and said,

"Let go James. Who will you have to prank with if it's not Sirius?" James looked thoughtful, then released Sirius.

"You got lucky mate." James said, pointing at Sirius, "I was this close to snapping your neck off." James held his thumb and pointer finger almost touching.

"What did you do?" Ellie asked, a flame of curiosity lighting her brain on fire.

"He didn't reply to any of my letters!" James exclaimed furiously, "I thought you'd bloody died Padfoot!"

"That's funny..." Ellie said, and Sirius, who was behind James, started motioning Ellie desperately to stop, "He replied to all of my letters."

"YOU DID WHAT?!" James yelled, rounding on Sirius.

"Well." Ellie said, stifling a chuckle as James looked at Sirius murderously, "I think I've ruined enough friendships for one day... I'm going to check on Lily." At the last word, James spun back round.

"Tell Evans I say hi and I want to go out with her."

"Alright." Ellie replied succinctly before returning to her steady walk down the hall. A squeal and hug later, Ellie was seated next to Alice and across from Lily.

"I've missed you!" Lily said, and Alice motioned she had as well.

"I've missed you too." Ellie said. "Lily..." she started, giving Lily a pointed glance and raising her eyebrow. Lily turned scarlet.

"W- what?" Lily stuttered.

"I heard, a little stag told me you went to the Potter's summer party!" Lily blushed but looked confused.

"Isn't it a little birdie?" She questioned.

"Not the way I heard it." Ellie said, inwardly chuckling at her joke, "And anyways, don't change the subject."

"Yes." Lily grumbled, a familiar pinkish hue creeping up her face, "I went to James' party. It was quite nice. His parents are wonderful-"

"Whoa wait..." Ellie said, "whose party?"

"Ja- POTTER'S!" Lily exclaimed, backtracking quickly and looking frantically around as if James had been hiding in a suitcase. Alice giggled.

"A first name basis huh?" Ellie said. Alice giggled harder, and Lily looked out the window and didn't say anything. A little while later, a boy with dark hair came into the compartment. Alice turned a deep hue.

"Hello Frank." She said quietly.

"Hi Alice!" He replied brightly. He turned to Lily and said,

"You're needed up front." Lily looked at him suspiciously but left with him all the same. Alice had a dreamy look on her face. Ellie said nothing but smiled at her slyly.

A little while later, the trolley came around.

"Anything from the trolley dears?" She asked, then continued, "You're almost there!" Alice and Ellie got three chocolate frogs and a pack of Bertie Botts before sitting back down. Alice opened a chocolate frog package and took out the card.

"Neville Croat." She said, then said, "Neville." She repeated the name many times before turning to Ellie and saying, "That would make a wonderful name for a baby boy, don't you think?" Her eyes were glowing as she continued, "I should like a baby boy one day; I think. Neville. Hm." And for the rest of the visit she took a quill and a piece of parchment and copied the name down over and over in silky calligraphy.

Ellie smiled, then looked out the window. She'd like a girl, she decided, then started thinking about names, but couldn't come up with one. Too far in the future, she thought, and too much to think about just now. As the train came to a roaring stop, steam billowing, she jovially stepped out of the compartment with Alice.

"Wherever has Lily gone?" Alice asked, looking left and right. Ellie frowned slightly, before heading resolutely to the front of the trolley. There she saw Lily laughing and talking with James. She smiled slightly before heading back to Alice.

"James." Ellie said, and Alice understood. They stepped out of the carriage and headed towards the castle.

"Sixth year." Ellie said, grinning up at her home. "What could possibly go wrong?"