12. Revenge

Ellie and Lily set up the plan the following evening. All it required was some expired milk and a bucket.

"Perfect." Lily muttered, levitating the bucket above the portrait hole. Ellie and Lily had sent Sirius an owl "from James" telling him about a limited addition Filibuster Fireworks package his mom had sent. Ellie was starting to have doubts. Public humiliation... Really? As Sirius walked in the door, heads turned and within Ellie grew an increasing amount of doubt. It was like a slow-motion film. The minute Lily muttered the incantation that severed the bucket, Ellie ran to the space where the bucket was, shoved Sirius, who let out a resounding 'oi!', and resignedly stood under the bucket, which was undoubtedly about to fall on her. She threw her hands up over her head and felt the loud clang as the bucket hit her, spilling expired milk all over her. Heads turned and the whole common room laughed as Ellie stood there, drenched sour smelling liquid.

"Why  did you push him out of the way?" It was dinnertime, and Lily was ringing out Ellie's, thankfully clean, hair with a yellow towel monogrammed 'LEG', whilst contentedly munching on a pumpkin pasty.

"Lil, you know public humiliation isn't the answer. And since when have you had a G in your name?"

"Gillian's my middle name." She answered absentmindedly, tying Ellie's hair back into ponytail.
"Really? Oh, you missed a hair." Ellie said, passing up a piece of hair to Lily and gazing up at the ceiling.

"Ugh yes. So annoying."

"It's not that bad. Now we have to talk about something very important."
"And what's that?" Lily asked in a 'I don't really want to know' voice. 

"James."

"What about him?" Lily said in a cool voice.

"What about him?! He's a great guy one you get to know him." 

"No he's not. He's an arrogant prat who has a head so big I'm surprised his body can support it!" Lily was breathing huffily now, red patches inching up her face. "He's just like Sirius. I doubt very much whether he is ever civil. He'd have a different girlfriend each day if he wasn't spending all of his time chasing after me."

"Well he's doesn't. Because he chases after you! You're lucky you have someone."

"Well... You do have someone."

"Oi!" Ellie exclaimed heatedly, "If you're referring to Sirius-"

"No, not Sirius." Lily continued, and it seemed as if she had been wanting to tell Ellie all day. For even her voice was trembling with quiet excitement. "Pettigrew fancies you."

Ellie nearly choked on her pumpkin pasty. "Peter?!"

"Yes." Lily replied, and for some reason she sounded very calm. 

"Wha-but-who- how to do know?"

"Um sorry but have you seen the way he looks at you?"

"Uh... Well I just- I don't like him in that way! He bows to easily to fear."

Lily smiled understandingly. "Well, you better tell him that because he's about to ask you to Hogsmeade."

Ellie slumped onto her bed and sighed. Why couldn't her love life be easy, like Lily's. James liked her, and regardless of what she said, Ellie knew she liked him too.