30. Quidditch... Again

After desperately unpacking and rewriting all the things Ellie had halfheartedly tried to do over the summer, Quidditch tryouts were upon them. As Ellie stepped onto the pitch, Ella Johnson no longer captain as she'd graduated, Sirius and James grinned at her, wearing Quidditch robes. She grinned and waved back, walking over to them.

"Hey Avia!" Sirius said, "Come for tryouts?"

"No Paddy, that's why I'm wearing these robes." She replied sarcastically, laughing at his expression.

"Right, well you know we can't give you special treatment Avia." James said.

"I know dear Prongsy." Ellie said, but batted her eyelashes all the same, laughing again and walking to where the other beaters were.

"Right." James said, "Everyone on your brooms. Let's go!" Ellie flashed Clementine Clarence a nervous smile and mounted her broom, kicking off and soaring into the sky. This, she thought, was surely the only way to fly. Planes had nothing on her. She let out a joyous shout and let her long blonde hair fly out behind her. Sirius looked at her, and his broom stopped in midair. How does she not see who she is for who she is? He wondered, gazing at her as she looped around like a right idiot, not caring that some of the chasers, like Chris, were giving her weird looks. James' whistle brought him back with a snap.

"Right, divide into two teams, seven on seven." Sirius flew over to Ellie, along with Cecelia West, and some other chasers. James was on the other side, and he had accumulated Chris, and Jacob, a small kid in 2nd year. "And... go!" James said, throwing the quaffle up in the air and releasing the snitch and bludgers. Ellie flew around the hoops, Sirius opposite her.

"On your left!" Sirius shouted, and Ellie span round. The bludger was coming to her shoulder, and she performed a pirouette in the air, bat out, and hit it with such force it traveled the length of the pitch.

"Good on you Ellie!" Cecelia shouted as she dodged the keeper and put the quaffle through the right goal post. Ellie pumped her fist in the air, then turned to Sirius, who was looked at her intensely. She was tempted to look away, but instead looked right back into his eyes until he looked away. Ellie thought she saw a faint patch of pink riding on Sirius' face, but, she thought, as she swerved past Jacob, it must have been a trick of the light.

"Refocus!" Sirius said to himself angrily, across the pitch. A bludger was headed towards Ava Circe, and he knew she would send it to him, deciding now would be as good a time as any to practice his secret move.

"Cecelia!" He shouted, "Knockoff!" She understood immediately. Grabbing the quaffle from midair, she headed towards the left goalpost, speeding as fast as she could. Sirius watched the bludger coming towards him and swung his bat, hitting the metal ball with a resounding 'CRACK!' The ball soared to the left of the quaffle and Pinch, the keeper, who was hovering over the left post, didn't have time to react as the bludger hit the quaffle on the left. It soared to the center goalpost and went in.

"Yes!" Cecelia and Sirius said, flying over to one another and slapping hands. Ellie looked at them, aghast.

"Close your mouth Avia!" Sirius yelled, "You'll let the flies in!" He flew a victory lap around the field, whooping, and James, who was laughing heartily, flew up to Sirius and high-fived him. Ellie looked at Sirius and cheered hard too.

*********************

Three days later, Ellie was sitting with Sirius, Peter, and Remus in the common room, when James bounded up.

"Slow up Prongs or you'll break your neck!" Sirius said, laughing.

"You both made the team!" James said, "Beaters, both of you." Ellie and Sirius jumped up and cheered, hugging each other. They pulled back quickly. Sirius started to laugh loudly and awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"HAHAHA." Sirius said, "HAHAHA." James looked at him oddly.

"I'm going to get him some Butterbeer." James said. He pulled Sirius by the arm out the portrait hole, Ellie looking after him peculiarly. "You like her. You still like her." James said, once he was sure the door to the portrait hole was closed.

"No." Sirius said steadily, "I don't like her." James looked at him, " I love her. I love the way her blond hair flies in the wind when she is on the pitch. I love the way her brown eyes move, capturing her surroundings. I love the way friends become family to her. She is so sure of who she is. I don't think she loves me. When we were in the Shrieking Shack a few days ago I could've sworn she wanted to kiss me, but when I leaned in, she pulled away. I need her in my life, and I'll take her any way I can get her."

"I told you that." James said, and smiled slightly. "Look, you have to tell her how you feel before it is too late. Guys are lining up to go out with her. They've finally noticed that she is a catch. Just like you did last year."

"What." Sirius said, his face deadly pale, "Other guys?"

"Yeah Padfoot." James said, "You really think Spencer was the only guy who was into her?"

"I was hoping." Sirius said, still deathly quiet.

"Don't blow up." James said.

"I'm not going to." Sirius said, "I just want you to keep all boys away from her."

"I can't do that." James said, laughing at Sirius' stoic demeanor, "I can't do that because it's insane. Let her live Sirius. Or tell her how you feel."

********

"That was weird." Ellie said, in the common room, looking at Remus and Peter. Peter giggled.

"What." Ellie said, "What was that." Remus giggled.

"Stop that!" Ellie said, "Tell me what's going on."

"Sirius has it bad for you mate." Remus said, "He's never been this awkward in front of a girl before. Ever."

"Huh." Ellie said, "Huh." She went up to the dormitory and sat on her bed, thinking. "Huh." She said. She fell back on her bed. So, their almost-kiss wasn't just because he was vulnerable. She touched her lips and smiled. She was in love with Sirius Black.

*********

Back outside the common room, Sirius looked at James, "Huh." He said, "Huh." James cuffed him hard on the back of the head and dragged him through the secret passageway for a Butterbeer.