13. Ellie's Choice

bdog26 this one's for you! Thanks for all your support!

"Peter- I think that it's really flattering that you like me but I just don't feel this way about you."

"Wah wah do you see me I'm crying dramatically." Lily cried out, putting her hand to her head and crying melodramatically.

"Shut up Lily. I think that it's letting him down easy enough right?"

"Did you not just hear my crying?"

"Okay- I'm going to tell him."

"Good luck. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go to the Great Hall so I don't have to see this trainwreck."

"LILY!" Ellie shouted, but Lily was already sprinting down the spiral staircase.

"Okay Ellie- you can do this. However, talking to yourself is the first sign of a crazy person." As this thought occurred to her, she quickly closed her mouth and pressed her lips together so that they formed a white line and she fumbled with the snitch charm on her necklace. The charm had been given to her by Remus on her 5th birthday. She knew the engraving in the back, "with love to my bestest friend", had nearly faded, but out of habit, she always rubbed it vigorously when nervous. She took a deep, calming breath, but immediately regretted it as she inhaled the wrong way. She coughed and hacked and when the fit subsided, her face was rather red. What an omen, she thought uncomfortably. She went down the spiral staircase and decided against taking a deep breath as she reached Peter.

"P-" her breath hitched in her throat and all she could get out was, "Feelings- not right."

"W-what?" Peter stammered, looking concernedly at Ellie.

"Look Peter. I think you're a great guy-"

"You do?" He said hopefully, looking up at her.

"Yes, and sometime and somewhere the perfect girl will be waiting for you. I just don't think that now is our time. I don't think we could go out, only because I don't feel that way about you. But I hope we can still be-" She didn't get to finish he sentence, as Peter was already headed back up to the dormitory.

"So that went well." Lily said sarcastically, jumping up from her position of behind the squashy armchair.

"Oh my gosh, you scared me!" Ellie cried, throwing a pillow at Lily, who ducked, giggling.

"Wow, that really backfired on you didn't it." Lily said, still chuckling. "Why don't we go down to the Great Hall for some lunch."

"LILY!" Ellie said, "THIS IS SERIOUS!"

"No, I'm pretty sure it's Peter." She replied cheekily, and Ellie started chasing her around the Common Room. It may not have been the most orthodox way of helping her get over the embarrassment of letting down Peter, but Lily's taunts definitely seemed to have an impact.