31. Life Threatening

"Hey Avia? Avia! Wait up!" Sirius said. Ellie halted and Sirius ran up.

"Sup Paddy." Ellie said.

"Hey." Sirius said. "Hey." He repeated awkwardly. Ellie laughed. For some reason the air between had become charged, and neither quite knew how to hold themselves. Ellie settled by playing with a strand of her hair, and Sirius studied the motion, forgetting himself.

"Yeah, you said that already." He jerked back to reality, "What's up with you?"

"N-nothing." Sirius said, "It's just, I really like this girl." Ellie looked up at him quickly and cautiously, "She's really pretty and smart and funny. But I don't have the guts to tell her how I feel. That's not how I am. I get with girls then break hearts. That's what makes me so insanely attractive." He flashed Ellie his signature smile. She rolled her eyes but looked at him and said,

"Well, if you like this girl go and get her!" It took every muscle in her body to force these words out of her throat. He was coming to her for girl advice. He didn't love her at all. He liked someone else. She recoiled into her protective shield, using the only defense she knew, "I'll be right here to cheer you on brother." The last word left a sour taste in her mouth, and her eyes darted from his lips to his eyes. Before she could act rashly, however, she hugged him tightly, hoping to convey some of what she felt. The desire, the longing to stay protected in his embrace. Sirius' breath hitched in his throat; his nose buried in her hair. It must've been a while before they broke apart, and both were slightly flushed.

"Thanks." He said when he regained composure. "I just need to think this over a little." She smiled back sadly.

"As much time as you need Paddy." She turned and walked down the corridor. Sirius looked at her. How could she be so clueless? He wondered. How could she not realize that they were meant to be. Not brother and sister. He walked in the other direction, thinking. How to get her on her own, and not in a busy corridor, to tell her how he felt. How to recover lost hours, create stolen moments just so he could look at her, hear her speak, watch her hair glint in the sun. How to say I love you. He wasn't very good at that.

He began drawing up a plan. Ellie left the school, deciding to spend her free period outside, cool down a little from what had just happened. She needed to sort out her thoughts. As she traipsed towards the Black Lake, she made a pact: she wouldn't tell him anything. She couldn't risk their friendship, their banter, whatever she felt growing between them. She decided she would wait for him. Her love had sustained her for this long, what was time, really? If they were meant to be together, they would find each other again. Reaching the lake, she sat and looked out at the castle reflected in the glassy water. All was peaceful.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a hand, strong and calloused, clapped over Ellie's mouth. The voice that spoke was low and husky.

"If you want to live don't say a word." The voice said. Ellie stood stock still and didn't say a word. A girl with wild black hair came in front of Ellie. Ellie didn't see her face, but her voice dripped with a condescending tone Ellie so despised.

"Itty bitty Ellie doesn't want to fight us?" The girl sneered. Ellie clenched her wand in the pocket of her robes, knuckles turning white, but did not speak. They led her roughly to the boundary of the castle, and disapparated with a pop. Gears whirred in Ellie's brain. They hadn't checked her person. They didn't know she had a wand. She did her best to hide her only means of escape and forced tears out of her eyes to appear scared. The boy seemed disgusted as they dropped onto his hand.

The three reappeared in a mansion basement, candles lining the dingy walls. Ellie was forced into a chair, and the girl lit her wand tip, forcefully holding it against Ellie's neck. It burned Ellie, but she did not flinch. Flinching was a sign of weakness, that much she knew. Her time getting in trouble at home had prepared her to face much worse. The boy came into the light. It was Lucius Malfoy. Ellie opened her mouth to speak, but then closed it again quickly. Silence was her best bet right now.

"Where is the Order of the Phoenix headquarters?!" Lucius shouted at Ellie. She kept her hand firmly on her wand but did not move.

"I don't know what you are talking about." Ellie said truthfully.

"Where is it." Lucius snarled. "I know you know, Green."

"Well." Ellie said, "Sorry to disappoint, but no. I don't know what the heck you are talking about." Lucius threw one of the candles against the floor. It smashed with a deafening noise, and the girl spoke.

"Let's use a more tactical method, Lucius."

"Whatever it takes Bellatrix." He was impatient, but Ellie knew they wouldn't kill her. Not if they believed she held information on this Phoenix business of which she didn't understand.

Bellatrix took the wand from Ellie's throat. Ellie sighed with relief, thinking they were going to question her calmly as their next approach, but it seemed Bellatrix was not done.

"CRUCIO!" She shouted, pointing her stubby black wand at Ellie. Ellie screamed. She flew up in the air and writhed on the ground. Her hair flew against her face as Bellatrix lifted the curse. Ellie gasped as her hair plastered against her face with sweat. A single tear escaped her eye, real this time.

"Stop." She said, "I don't know what the Phoenix is, but stop." Bellatrix lifted her wand again, and Ellie clenched her whole body, bracing herself for the impact.

******

"Remus!" Sirius shouted. "Where is Avia?"

"I don't know, she wasn't in my Transfiguration class."

"I haven't seen her either." Sirius said, "I'm worried."

"Ah, but you should know where she is." A voice drawled behind Sirius, latching her arm around his shoulder, "He is with my dear, dear sister." Sirius span round. Narcissa Black looked into Sirius stormy grey eyes, laughter lining her elegant face.

"Is she-" Sirius started

"I think you know exactly where she is." Narcissa replied. Sirius punched her in the face.

"What the bloody-!" Remus said, and swore very loudly, looking down at Narcissa's unconscious body.

"Take her to the hospital wing." Sirius said.

"Not until you tell me what's going on!" Remus said. Sirius pulled out his wand. Remus did the same. The two were facing each other at wand-point, both looking grave. Sirius lowered his almost at once, as though he had remembered that his best friend was at the tip.

"Just trust me." Sirius said. Remus nodded, albeit not fully assured.

"Okay Padfoot. Just be careful." His voice was gentle, but firm, and Sirius nodded.

Sirius looked at Remus, "I always am Moony." He winked, then spun round and ran out the door.

*****

Ellie sat, breathing heavily, as Bellatrix looked down at her.

"Her resolve is stronger than I thought." Bellatrix cackled. "But I will break her."

Ellie looked into her black eyes, and whispered hoarsely, "You. Will. Never. Break. Me." The time was now. She pulled her wand out of her robes just as Sirius apparated into the room, "Confrigo!" Ellie shouted. "Reducto!" She screamed again. Bellatrix crumpled on the ground as Lucius flew into the back wall with a crash. Ellie crumpled into a heap as Sirius ran over to her. She opened her eyes briefly. Sirius spoke.

"I didn't think I was ready to tell you; but this has opened my eyes. Life is too short and with the war brewing, I don't know what to do. I didn't think I would get to tell you this, but I must. I can't lose you." He held Ellie in his arms, "Ellie, I lo-" Lucius had regained strength. Grabbing his wand from the ground, he pointed it at Sirius.

"Stupefy." He said, almost lazily. Sirius blacked out.