Part 2

I’ve put the stuff I bought into my bag so that I can make the hike to my home easily. I use my hands to jump over a mossy log and that results in them getting slimy: I wipe them on my jeans. I pause a moment to climb up a tree and take in the view. After a while, I look down to see a black wolf at the base. I silently lower myself to the bottom branch.

     “Hello there.” I say in greeting. With its eyes still locked on mine, it watches me ease my way off the branch before plopping to the forest floor. I stay in the squatting position for a while, waiting for the wolf’s reaction- it just stares at me. So, I stand straight and take a step forward. The wolf takes one back so I stall in my path.

     “I don’t want to hurt you.” I whistle a short little song and a bird echoes it, flying to my outstretched finger. I rub its head a little before turning back to the wolf: the bird jumps to my shoulder. “I want to be your friend too.” I tell it.

      It continues its deep chocolate stare. After a while, it moves forward to sniff my hand. I gradually lift my hand to place it on the back of the wolf’s broad head. I rub there before rubbing behind its ear. The wolf lets out a moan of content. I smile.

      I continue petting it for a while then remember the meat I just bought. I reach around my back and retrieve my bag. Then I open it up and take out a packet of meat. I open the wrapping before setting it down in front of the wolf.

     “You can have some if you want. I bought plenty.” It just stands there for a while then looks back at me. “I guess that it would taste better cooked.”

     Then I notice the sun’s position. It’ll be sunset by the time I reach home. “Well my friends I better start heading home. You can come if you want me to give ya some food.” And so, I resume my hike.

As I maneuver my way through the branches of the forest, I hear the occasional breaking of branches on the forest floor telling me that the wolf is following behind me. I eventually hear the sound of the river ahead of me signaling my soon arrival home.

      As I arrive at the stairs of my home I tell the wolf “I’ll go ahead and cook the meat for you. If you aren’t still here when it’s done I’ll save it for you tomorrow.”

     I turn back around and head toward the pantry. Inside I have a small box of birdseed. I pick it up and head back out. I have a small hanging feeder that I put some seed into before letting the bird jump down from my shoulder.

     “There you go, Laurie.” I pet the bird’s head and look out to the river. There’s a large rock that hangs over it (kind of like ‘Pride Rock’ in The Lion King). Standing atop it majestically is the black wolf. “Well then Rocky, enjoy the view.”

     I go back in and fix dinner, at the same time cooking the meat. When I go back out though, the wolf is gone. Guess I’ll save it then. After dinner I look out the window to take in the view of the river before getting ready for bed