Part 8

So this should have actually been posted a couple days ago. But wouldn't you know it, I lost my internet the day after I get back into publishing. Anywho  I'm back on internet and back on schedule. =D Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With Myra Back When She Woke Up

     I wake up to the sound of rain outside my window. *It's about time it rained! It's been too long. I can't wait to get outside!*  I glance over towards my bedside alarm clock and see the time. *2 p.m.?! No way! Why the heck would I sleep in so late?!* As I ask that question in my head, last night and this morning come rushing back. Crabapples! Is River still here? I quickly pull my covers off and, as quietly as possible, I rush down the hallway towards the stairs.

     As I gradually tiptoe down the stairs, I hear the girl River saying "she had fallen asleep on you and you carried her up to her room. Considering she was so comfortable with a wolf, she must be around you a lot, meaning you probably come here often. And you wouldn't be so not careful with just any human girl.  My guess is that you've known her for a while and are hoping she might just find out on her own. "

     By the time she finished her speech, I'm at the bottom of the stairs. *So he must be a wolf too, one I know.*  They're sitting on my couch, backs toward me and the stairs. To get their attention I start with "So you're also a wolf?" They both jerk around. I meet eyes with the stranger and I recognize the chocolate brown gaze. His expression softens. Hmm. "I wonder. If she's River, are you Rocky?"

     "Uh. . . Rocky sits there stunned for a while and River's the one to respond.

     "If you mean the black wolf that visits you then yes, he's Rocky."

     "Okay. Cool. That explains the many human like characteristics. . . So am I going to be running into more like you in the woods or. . .?

     "Well actually there's a whole pack of us, two actually." Rocky finally talks and his voice is as soothing as the gentle rain yet as strong as a rushing waterfall. "Now that you know our secret, you can meet the others, if you'd like." He seems almost nervous as he suggests the idea.

     "Ooh a hike, great! I'll go change!" I sprint upstairs and search my closet for more suitable clothes. I wear jean shorts, a tank top under a light jacket, and my favorite shoes. As I enter the living room, Rocky takes one look at my clothing choice and asks "Do you really think those are suitable for rain? I'd hate for you to get sick."

    "You kidding? I love the rain and shorts are most comfortable for hiking. Let me grab my keys and let's go!" I run to my key holder and with them out the door I lock up.

     I turn around for them to lead the way only to get distracted by the beautiful sight, smell, and sound of rain. I can't help but run out from under the awning and into the rain. I giggle as I start spinning, enjoying the feel of the rain on my skin.

     "Okaaay." I hear River say quietly, obviously confused.

     "Haha! I love the rain. *sigh* It's just so wonderful."

     Rocky smiles as he starts talking "Well rain girl, we're gonna head in this direction." He points north, towards La Push as River starts walking. I skip behind her and Rocky brings up the rear.

     On our way there, I continually ask them questions about the wolfshifters. They seem willing enough to share, both putting in their own intel on different subjects. That is until imprinting came up. It sounded like a great concept to me but I couldn't help but notice how Rocky kind of clammed up and he wouldn't make eye contact. *Yet again, hmm.*

     I eventually noticed that we're getting close to the end of the forest and I started to ask questions to ease my nerves. "So, um, are the other wolfshifters, uh used to visitors?"

     "If you mean people who've learned our secret, they're pretty used to it. Over half have imprinted and have needed to share the secret, being soulmates and all."

     "Oh. Okay." Before I have time to ask anymore questions we've come to the edge of the trees and I'm surprised by the sight of a house.

     "Well, here we are. Home sweet home. Most of my pack should be here although Seth and Colin are on patrol." River rushes in and Rocky holds the door open for me. "Hey guys. We've got a visitor. . ." We enter the family room as eight pairs of eyes turn to stare at us. "Well Rain girl, meet the packs."