Chapter 9

Chapter 9-

“Whoa there, Ms. Handsy. Watch what you’re grabbing! I didn’t sign up to be fondled.” For someone who could rock a beard so well, Jon could certainly rival the scream of any prepubescent little girl as his masseuse began to massage dangerously close to his prized jewels.

“My apologies Mr. Walker, when you sat up you caught me by surprise and my hand slipped.” The poor girl said sheepishly, pale as a ghost as Jon glares at her aghast. It really had been a mistake that I should probably take the blame for: If I hadn’t just dropped the bomb I'd received from Dallon last night, then Jon wouldn’t have bolted up from his laying position on the massage table and startled his masseuse. But I had to share my jumbled thoughts with someone, and what better way to start the conversation than with a casual, “So Dallon came to my room last night and told me he loves me.”

“Yeah, yeah. Just remember that I’m a married man, and I can get my own happy ending at home from my wife, alright.” Jon glares at his masseuse, before flipping over onto his stomach and pulling the sheet up higher on his back. I roll my eyes at his outburst, before fixing him with an are-you-done look. “Sorry, you just can’t drop something like that on me this early in the morning. I don’t have enough coffee in my system.”

“There’s not enough coffee in the world that would have prepared me for it last night,” I grumble, lifting my head and folding my arms up to rest my chin on them. My own masseuse had just stepped out of the room for a moment, and I took the opportunity to break conduct and disregard the fact that I was tightening a lot of muscles she had just spent a half an hour loosening.

Jon examines me closely, eyes sweeping over my facial features like he'll find something hidden behind the harsh lines of my forehead and the jut of my bottom lip. In hindsight, he probably could read a million things behind those things, any of the boys could. They all read me too well, although I was beginning to think it had a lot more to do with the fact that I had an inability to ever mask my feelings than I’d like to amount. My soul was a flashy billboard sign on the side of the road, large and impossible to miss.

“You’re upset, like genuinely upset. Is it because of who said it or because of the situation it’s put you in?” he asks me finally, and I sigh out of aggravation. He wasn't supposed to ask me meaningful questions, he was supposed to lay there and get a massage while I bitched about my life.

“I don’t know, both? But what does that even mean, what does that say about me? Dallon professed his love to me and I’m upset that he’s not someone else. And even worse still,  I’m upset because he’s put me in an awkward position. I practically ignored the fact that he just cut himself open and revealed his heart, and told him to leave. How heartless can you get.” I scoff at my own expense, shaking my head furiously before burying my face into the crook of my elbow.

“He didn’t exactly say he loves you yet, he said he could if you gave him a chance.” Jon says pointedly and I begin to mutter back that what difference does any of that make? He scolds me for mumbling, “I can’t hear you if you’re going to talk into your elbow.”

“What difference does any of that make? He admitted he has feelings for me,” I argue, lifting my head enough to meet his patient gaze.

“Are you trying to tell me that Dallon having feelings for you is that much of an inconvenience? Because I’m positive you’ve told me on multiple occasions how cute you think he is. Besides I’ve seen the way you two interact, the chemistry between you two is obvious.” He urges, and I give him an exasperated glare.

“Well what about Ryan? We have a…past.” I pout, growing more and more flustered. After spending the day with Ryan yesterday, I knew without a doubt that there was still a fierce connection between us. Ryan and I had been drawn together from the moment our eyes met at the airport, and I found it hard to believe that we weren’t meant to explore this ongoing attraction to each other. “I always thought we gave up on the relationship too soon. Maybe we could have found a compromise instead of breaking up.”