S E V E N

What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.
- Helen Keller

QUESTIONS

- Alexia Bella De la rosa -

I stepped out of the car and looked at the mansion that stood tall and strong. It was massive but not as big as my home- old home.

Turning to retrieve my bags from the boot of Damien's car, a hand stopped me, my eyes travelling up to meet the owner of the big rough hand that kept me from moving any further.

"I'll get them for you, don't worry," Damien told me with a small smile.

"Thank you." I whispered, the words I uttered barely audible.

"No problem," he simply shrugged, lifting the bags in both hands with complete ease.

Silence once again overtook us, causing me to shook my head as I simply wasn't going to accept this any longer. Smiling up at him, I opened my mouth and spoke, trying to engage in a conversation to relieve us of the constant quietness. "What did you do after you- left?"

Returning the smile, he blew out a loud breath. "Well, my padre started introducing me to the ways of the mafia. He began training me to someday be able to take over," he said from beside me, his words now catching my attention.

"But what about your hermanos? You're the youngest. Surely they'd be the ones to take over?" I questioned, earning a side glance form Damien, shaking his head not long after.

"My padre believed me to be more- adequate for the position. Besides, they'd both refused the offer to take over." Nodding in response to his explanation. Damien continued. "And you?"

"I was 14 when one day I was walking home and was attacked by some me." I started with a straight face, not daring to meet Damien's wondering gaze.

He stopped and I did too but to turn and look at him. On finally gaining the courage to meet his gaze, I looked into his eyes only to spot that they were filled with sheer concern.

"What happened? Did they..?" he asked, not being able to finish off his sentence.

Sitting down on a swing, in the garden that Damien lead me too, I turned to face the distance straight ahead.

"As I said before, I was 14. I didn't know much about my famillia's business. All I knew was that they made a lot of money but where that money came from? Well I was unsure."

I took in a deep breath as I continued on.

"A black car started following me on my way back from school and I was all alone. I turned a corner and the car started speeding up and at that point I knew I was being followed, so I ran, but with my luck I ended up in an alleyway. Defenceless and with no where to go," My hand was now slightly shaking but then it stopped, I looked down and saw Damien's hand on top of mine. I couldn't decipher how but it made me feel...at ease.

"I couldn't hear the car anymore and I started to calm down but my nerves returned when there was a couple of shadows and footsteps coming towards me. Then 4 guys stood in front of me, all armed," I spoke out my voice breaking ever so slightly.

"They started speaking in Spanish and at that point I wasn't that fluent so I could barely understand what they were saying. They started laughing at me, because of how scared I was and I didn't know what to do," I cried out as a tear dropped from my eye.