4: strangely-addressed letters

"Boys! Get up! Now!" There was a pounding on the two boys' bedroom door, and the boy in the right bed with the red-orange cover woke with a start. The other boy, the one in the left bed with the blue-green cover, stayed fast asleep. There was another pounding on the door. "Get up! Now!" The woman who was doing the pounding, Aunt Petunia, pounded once more and thankfully left.

The boy in the red-orange bed tumbled out and crawled over to the other boy's bed. "Percy. Get up. Aunt Petunia wants us to go make breakfast. It's Dudley's birthday, so I wouldn't be late."

The other boy, Percy, groaned. "But I don't want to."

The first boy sighed. "Well, you have to."

"But, Harry!"

"But, Percy!" Percy groaned again but pushed himself out of bed anyway. He knew that upsetting Dudley on his birthday would end up with Percy doing all the chores for a month and he did not want that to happen ever again.

Harry huffed, annoyed. "Finally." Harry grabbed some clothes from his side of the dresser and went to the bathroom to shower and change.

Percy had finally gotten up off the floor. "Hurry up Harry, I need to shower too!" There was muffled yelling from the other side of the bathroom door. "I don't care! You need to hurry up!" More muffled yelling. Percy gave an exasperated grunt, and flopped back onto his bed, resigned to the fact that he would have to wait at least fifteen minutes for Harry to be done.

****

About a half hour later, after both Percy and Harry had showered, changed, and stopped arguing with each other, they made their way downstairs and into the kitchen. They each started cooking food, making sure to cook Dudley's favorites. They didn't want to upset the birthday boy, after all.

Once the food was done, they brought it over to the dining room table, where the entire Dursley family was sitting. Dudley was complaining to his mother about how many presents he had gotten. "But there's only thirty-six! That's two less than last year! Two!"

"I know Diddykins, I know," Aunt Petunia said. "That's why, while we're at the zoo, we're going to buy you three more presents, how's that, pumpkin?"

Dudley, being as stupid as he was, struggled to count up the amount on his fingers. "Then that would be...that would be..."

"Thirty-nine!" Uncle Vernon interrupted. "And I might even buy you another, to make it an even forty!" He chuckled and ruffled Dudley's blond hair. "Little tyke."

Aunt Petunia smiled, then turned to Percy and Harry, her smile falling from her face as soon as she saw them. "You made breakfast?" They nodded. "Then take some, not a lot, and eat it upstairs in your room. Then you need to do the dishes, and you," she pointed to Percy, "need to get the mail."

The two boys grabbed as much food as they could under Aunt Petunia's watchful eye and then retreated back upstairs into their room. As soon as the door was closed, Percy burst out, "God, I hate her!"

"I know," Harry said.

They each sat down on their respective beds and began to eat and talk about, well, anything really. Their lives were rather uneventful. Once they were done eating, they went back downstairs. Harry started on the dishes while Percy got the mail. He shuffled through the different letters and bills and froze when he saw it.

There was a letter, and it was addressed to him. It was made of thick parchment, and there was an address scrawled in green ink across the back of it.

Perseus Jackson

The First Room on the Right, Upstairs

4 Privet Drive

Little Whinging, Surrey

There was an identical letter addressed to Harry right under Percy's, the only thing different being the name at the top of the address. Percy continued walking to the dining room, where the Dursley family, and now Harry, were all situated. He continued to stare in awe at his letter. He never got letters and neither did Harry. So why were they suddenly getting them now?

He got to the dining room and started to hand Harry his letter, when it was snatched out of his hand by Dudley, along with his own. "Hey!" Percy protested. "That's my letter!"

"Dad! Dad! Dad! Look what Percy's got!"

Uncle Vernon took the letters with his eyebrows raised. He slowly started to rip into Harry's, the one on top, and took the letter out. His eyes started to bug out, and his jaw went slack. His face started to turn beet red. He quickly motioned Aunt Petunia over. When she reached him, her lips pursed. Harry still had no idea what was happening. The two adults began whispering to each other, occasionally glancing at Percy or Harry out of the corner of their eyes. Dudley began to resent the lack of attention he was getting and started throwing a temper tantrum. But everyone else was so focused on the letters, that at that point it was all background noise.

Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia finally stopped whispering to each other and looked over at Percy and Harry, who were now standing together at the other end of the table. Uncle Vernon cleared his throat. "You will never mention these letters ever again, you understand?"

"What? But that was my letter! And Harry's!" Percy was getting really fed up.

Uncle Vernon then proceeded to rip both letters into small little pieces, Aunt Petunia looking on from behind him in satisfaction. "We will be leaving for the zoo in fifteen minutes, and because Mrs. Figg can't take you, I expect both of you to be outside waiting, or no supper." Mrs. Figg was their next-door neighbor. Whenever the Dursleys went somewhere, Percy and Harry would be shunted over to her, and they would spend the rest of the day eating stale cake and looking at pictures of her many cats. She had recently tripped over one of those aforementioned cats, and she had broken her ankle, leaving the two boys with the Dursleys. Percy was secretly glad because although he didn't want to admit it, he had spent enough time with the woman to dread going over and spending more time with her.

****

I was feeling creative. So, here you go! Hope you like it, comment anything I got wrong.

COMMENT + VOTE + FOLLOW ME FOR MORE