26: and into danger they went

Even though they were all worried about Voldemort and Snape getting the stone before they found out, Percy, Harry, Ron, and Hermione, especially Hermione, kept studying for the end of year exams. The first two exams, Transfiguration and Charms, took place on June first. In Transfiguration, McGonagall watched them turn a mouse into a snuff box and in Charms, Flitwick called them into the classroom one by one to see if they could make a pineapple tap dance. The next day, there was only one exam. In Potions, Snape walked around the classroom and made them all nervous by breathing down their necks while they tried to remember how to make a Forgetfulness Potion. On the third of June, there was Defense Against the Dark Arts, which was easy enough. On the final day of exams, there was Herbology and History of Magic. Herbology, like Defense, was quite easy, and in History of Magic, they had one hour to answer as many questions as they could about old wizards and inventors who were long dead.

Once they were finally done with the History of Magic exam, Percy met the other three outside the classroom. "I think that I did alright," Hermione said. "I may have missed the question about Gaspard Shingleton and his self-stirring cauldron, but other than that, I think I did rather well. What about you Percy?"

"Well, there were some that I had no idea what to put so I just guessed-"

Ron interrupted him. "Oh, can we stop talking about exams? They're over, done for. Let's go outside, it's warm out!" Because it was June, summer was right around the corner and the weather had gotten much nicer. The sun was out almost all the time, which made it a bit stuffy inside the castle with all of the constantly lit torches.

The four of them decided to go to the lake; Percy took his shoes and socks off as soon as they got there to dip his toes in the cool water. There were a few moments of peaceful and relaxed silence, then Harry spoke.

"You know, I can't help but think that we're missing something. Something to do with the stone."

Hermione opened her eyes and sat up off the ground and out of her relaxed position. "Harry, even if we did miss something, no one will be able to get past Fluffy. Snape tried and failed, remember? But yeah, you're right. I do feel as if we're missing something..." she trailed off, her eyes narrowed with thought.

Percy looked up, having realized exactly what they missed. "How did Hagrid get that egg, again?"

"He said that he bartered with a stranger or something for it," Ron said.

"Well, what did he barter for it?"

Hermione gasped. "That's it! We need to go see Hagrid, right now!" And so they all got up, Percy not bothering to put his shoes back on, and raced down to Hagrid's hut. Harry knocked on the door furiously when they got there.

"Hagrid, open up! It's an emergency, we need to talk to you!"

Looking disgruntled, Hagrid opened the door. "What d'you want, I'm busy!"

Hermione stepped forward. "Hagrid, what exactly did you trade for that dragon egg?"

"What? Oh, I just told 'im about Fluffy."

"What exactly did you say?"

"I told 'im that Fluffy's a kind beast, not harmful at all, really. Y'just need to play some music an' it'll put 'im right to sleep."

They all exchanged glances and immediately tore off to go find McGonagall. "Thanks, Hagrid!"

"What? Why is that important?"

They ran into McGonagall on the second floor, halfway to her office. "Professor!"

McGonagall turned to face them, her eyebrow raised. "Yes? What is it?"