Chapter 3

(This is rare and different but ya know!)

Chapter 3

Ponyboy's POV

I can't believe tomorrow is the first day of school. I hope it goes okay for JT. The socs always like to pick on the new kids. Maybe she'll be in my classes. It'd be nice to have a friend, well more than just a friend, with me all day.

I begin thinking about her. I don't mean to sound cliche, but she's so pretty, and she doesn't have to try. She's a great person, and I'm glad we got our feelings for each other off our chest. We both needed that.

She's not like other greaser girls either. I like how she doesn't wear makeup because of her natural beauty. She doesn't wear showy clothes like most others. She likes to wear her hair up instead of a fancy mess of curls or waves. She's not loud or too giggly. She's wonderfully down to earth. I like that about her.

When I'm around her, I feel different, more laid back. She's my best friend I could ever ask for. Well, that's a girl anyway. Johnny's on the flip side of that. Anyway, she's just amazing, if I had to be honest.

It's strange to think how we love each other like we do. I never thought it'd happen. Sure I'm still kinda young, and I've always been told that I'll get interested in girls at one point. I've skipped all of that and went straight to the "falling hard for a girl".

Earlier this afternoon, we sent JT out to go get more groceries. Well, she more or less offered. Darry and Soda came home, then she left with the pickup. I'm not even sure she has a license...

So now it's just the guys and me. Sometimes we just hang around and do nothing. Other times we just talk when it's us. Before JT, that's all we ever did.

"Hey, Ponyboy," Steve says. "You got a girl in mind?"

"He's not interested in girls like me and you are," Soda tells him.

"Oh, it'll happen one day. Trust me," Darry says. "I remember you growing up. You always talked about 'em, and you still do." Sodapop shrugs in agreement. He couldn't argue. It's true enough.

"Yeah. I remember when it happened to me. Boy, I wish I wasn't so caught up in girls. They can be trouble," Two-Bit says. "All they do is complain. 'My hair's messed up. My makeup is terrible.' It gets annoying."

"You're telling me. Those soc girls at school are always talking like that," I add.

"Yeah. They're always doing stuff like that," Johnny agrees. Dallas laughs to himself.

"These greaser girls ain't much better. They're loud," he comments.

"JT ain't," Johnny replies. Everyone chimes in their agreement. I can't help but smile at the thought of her.

"When's the first time y'all went all the way?" I ask a bit randomly. Everyone looks at me with a confused expression on their face. It's just a question. I don't get the big deal.

"I was fifteen," Darry admits first.

"Sixteen," Soda follows. It's strange to think that my brothers were young too. I guess everyone was. I'll just have to pull that truth from them.

"I was about seventeen," Two-Bit says. "And stupid too. I was reeled when it happened."

"I don't even remember how old I was... I think I was around fifteen or sixteen," Steve says honestly.

"What about you, Dally?" I ask. He looks into the air for a second. He then kicks his feet out and lights a cigarette. He takes a drag and blows out the smoke.