Chapter 7

Chapter 7

• 2 months later •

"JT! Get up! You have school today!"

I slowly crawl out of bed with a frown stuck on my face. I don't feel like getting up today. Well I never feel like it.

I search the room for Ponyboy. He's nowhere to be found. He started sleeping in my room awhile back. I'm glad too because I always felt alone. I guess it was just my hormones talking.

After I take a record time shower, I change and look in my mirror, turning to the side to see my growing baby bump. My once skinny appearance is now replaced by a baby...

"Screw you," I say, poking myself. "I love you and all, but screw you." I dramatically groan and shuffle into the kitchen.

"Morning!" Soda says happily.

"Morning," I mumble.

"Are you feeling okay today?" Pony asks.

"So far I'm alright. Maybe I'll survive."

"That's good." I nod in agreement.

Darry hastily places plates in front of everyone. He's rushing around like crazy.

"What's got you all worked up, Darry?" Soda asks.

"I'm gonna drop JT and Pony off at school today. So hurry up and eat," he answers. After we slam down our food and finish getting ready, everyone crams in the cab of the pickup. Darry drops us off at school, and Pony and I rush inside to avoid anyone talking about us.

"Dang it! I left my jacket!" I say.

"You can have mine," he offers.

"No it's okay. Forget it..."

"Why is it so important?"

"I don't want people to look at me like I'm a bad person, you know?" I ask.

"Then I don't either. Here." He slides his denim jacket off and allows me to put it on. It's oversized, but it covers me well.

We go through our classes together then head to lunch. I'm not so excited about what we're eating today. Ugh. I'd rather starve.

I excuse myself and go to the bathroom. In all honesty, I'm just going to wash my face. I feel so hot all of a sudden, and I feel nervous. I feel as if someone's watching. My mom always used to say if my ears were itching, someone was talking about me. Someone must be nonstop talking then.

Four girls walk in as I look in the mirror. Two of them I recognize as cheerleaders.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here? A greaser girl!" one with dark brown hair says.

"I ain't looking for trouble. So back off, alright?" I snap.

"Oh save it. We know your secret." My cheeks flush as butterflies erupt in my stomach.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, trying to stay cool.

"Don't try to hide it," a blonde says.

"You slept around until you got knocked up," the brunette says, taking back over her dominance against her friends.

"That's not true," I answer sternly.

"Oh yeah? Then explain why you're so fat. Tell us why you're acting all weird all the time. Please explain to me."

"Leave me alone!"

"I don't think that's going to happen! You're dirty trash. You don't belong here."