Chapter 13

Chapter 13
• Several days later •
Darry offers to drive just me to the train station to pick up my mother. To be honest, I'm terrified. The drive is too short for me, and we nervously await the train on the station platform. Darry taps his foot.
"You nervous?" he asks.
"I should be asking you that. But I'm a little nervous."
"I hope she likes us and all."
"I'm pretty sure she already does," I tell him with a laugh. He smiles and looks down at his shoes. "Thanks, Darry."
"For what?" he asks, looking up at me.
"Everything. We couldn't have gotten here without you. I appreciate you helping with Baby and all."
"Well, that's just what I'm supposed to do, right? But you're welcome I guess. And thanks."
"For what?" I ask.
"Keeping our family together."
"Darry, I did nothing like that."
"Sure you did!" he says. "Me and Ponyboy don't fight much. Soda aunt run out on us for anything. I ain't exactly lost my head yet. And you help around the house a lot. It really means a lot, and I've always been protective of Pony."
"Yeah..."
"I've never seen him so happy before. Since mom and dad died, I thought he'd be that way forever. You came along and changed him... If anyone was to become my sister-in-law, I'm glad it's you."
"Aw, Darry. I... I don't even know what to say!"
"Yeah, yeah. Mom and dad would've loved you like us."
"That's what Pony tells me," I say. "And mom's gonna love all of you sooner than you think because I hear the train right now!"
As the train finally comes closer, my hair whips around my face, and Darry has to steady me so I don't fall.
Only a few people get off. I don't see my mom yet. I begin to hope she didn't forget. And then finally I see her familiar dark brown hair done in a fancy up-do. We immediately see each other. I run to her.
"Oh JT! I missed you so much!" she says happily, her voice cracking.
"I missed you too..." Tears roll down my cheeks. I smile despite them. She pulls away and wipes mine and her face. I laugh.
"You look so grown up!"
"Yeah. I've done a lot of that lately... C'mon. Let's get to the house. You're gonna love it!"
I grab her bags, and we walk to Darry. He takes them.
"Mom, this is Darrel Curtis. He's my fiancée's oldest brother. He's been taking real good care of me," I explain. She shakes his hand.
"Nice to meet you, Ms. Thompson," he says politely.
"Nice to meet you. I suppose JT's been giving you trouble?"
"Well, she's a handful, but so are my brothers." Mom laughs. So far so good.
We drive to the house with me sitting in the middle and joining a long conversation about her ride and my life here. My heart is pounding out of my chest. I really hope they didn't plan a surprise party of any sorts. I'd die if they embarrassed me in front of my mother.
We walk through the front door. Everyone is dressed up nice and Tucker and Baby are upstairs. Food can be smelled throughout the house. Now we're really getting good.
"Mom, this is where we live," I say. She nods and smiles.
"Wow, hun. You must love it here!" I nod.
"Let me introduce you to everyone! This is Sodapop Curtis. He's Darry's other younger brother." I'm surprised she doesn't question his name.
"Nice to meet you, ma'am," he says with a smile.
"This is Steve Randle. He's a good friend of ours."
He nods to her and smiles politely.
"This is Keith Mathews, but we call him Two-Bit because he's always got something to say." He gently takes her hand.
"Well, we now know where JT gets her good looks from," he says. Mom laughs.
"You're a real charm," she tells him. He laughs.
"Mom, this is Johnny Cade. He's a real special friend too."
"I'm glad I'm finally meeting you," he says.
"This is Dallas Winston. He's a friend too."
"How are you, Ms. Thompson?"
"I'm wonderful, thank you."
"Someone taught you some manners, huh, Dally?" I tease.
"You can thank Soda."
"Wait. I'm still saving one of the best for last. Mom, follow me. I ask her to stand in her spot for a moment. I go into the kitchen to find Ponyboy. He's standing over the stove stirring something.
"Babe, it's time. You ready?" I ask. He smiles.
"I don't know. I'm nervous. You think she'll like me?"
"She likes Dally already. It'll be impossible to not like you. Besides," I say, fixing the collar of his shirt and resting my arms around his neck. "Even if she doesn't like you, I still like you."
"Gee thanks. That's what I needed to here," he says sarcastically. I pull him down for a kiss and quickly pull away. "Okay," he says. "Now I believe you."
"Good. Now come meet your mother-in-law." I grab his hand and pull him out into the living room. Mom turns and smiles. She then raises an eyebrow.
"Is this who I think it is, Jane?" she asks knowingly. I nod.
"Mom, this is Ponyboy Curtis. This is who I'm going to be married to come Saturday."
"How are you, Ms. Thompson? JT's talks about you a lot. I'm glad I'm finally meeting you," he tells her, gently shaking her hand.
"Great! And you?"
"Very good."
"Uh, Ponyboy, do you love my daughter?" she asks.
"With all of who I am. I would die for her if it came to it."
"Well, let's hope not because I really trust you!" She laughs a little. "Are you ready to marry her?"
"Absolutely. I wouldn't trade the opportunity for anything."
"That's very good to know. I'm looking forward to having you as my son-in-law." She hugs him tightly.
"Mom," I say as they pull away. "I've got a surprise for you! Honey, will you tell everyone that dinner will be ready at five, too?" I ask him, putting emphasis on five. We came up with a code yesterday that five meant I was bringing Baby and Tucker down.
Pony nods. "Let's go sit down until JT gets back," he tells my mom. I smile as they go, and I start heading toward the stairs. Pony mentions supper being done at five. Dallas rushes up the stairs in front of me. I chase after him.
"Holy crap. This is giving me a headache," I complain quietly as we enter the nursery. He takes Tucker out of his crib while I grab Baby.
"You're telling me. I just hope your mom doesn't think Tucker's yours too!"
"Wouldn't that be a smooth move?" He laughs.
"C'mon," he says. I watch as he goes downstairs. "Ms. Thompson, this is my son Tucker," Dallas tells her. She laughs.
"He's a cutie," she says.
"Thanks." I think he took that as a compliment to himself. I roll my eyes and smile. "But JT asked me to tell you to close your eyes."
"Why?"
"She has a surprise for you."
"Mom," I call from upstairs. "This is a really big surprise! Close your eyes please!"
"You're good," Dallas says. I look at Baby.
"Be as cute as you can," I tell her. She giggles. "You're a professional aren't you? C'mon." I walk downstairs and stand in front of mom, trying not to laugh.
"Can you hold out your arms, please?" Ponyboy says.
"I guess so," she says. He comes to stand by me as I place Baby in mom's arms. She opens and looks down in shock.
"Surprise!" I say. "It's our daughter. Her name is Babydoll Marie."
"JT... She's... Oh my goodness. She's beautiful. This is a big surprise!"
"Baby, it's your grandmother!" Pony tells her. Baby's curious sparkling eyes study my mom. I'm pretty sure she's about to cry. This is her first grandchild for crying out loud!
"Amma," Baby mumbles. She squirms until my mom sets her up and bounces her on her knee.
"She's perfect. I'm happy for you two." I wrap my arms around one of Pony's and draw closer to him. I watch my mom stare in amazement at Baby.
Somehow, I know that I should've been here my whole life. I belong here. I'm about to make that official too. This is where I want to be for the rest of my life.
•••
• Wedding Day•
Carol and some friends from school help me into my dress. They also help me with my hair and makeup. I feel absolutely beautiful. I suppose that's how all brides should feel.
"You look... perfect," Carol compliments.
"Thank you." I smile at my reflection and put in my earrings. My friend hands me my flower bouquet of red roses and baby breaths.
"I never thought you'd get married this soon," she says.
"Well," I start, "I guess you thought wrong." She laughs a little.
"Is there anything else you need?" Carol asks.
"I'm fine. Thanks guys. I'll walk out soon. I just need a minute." They hug me and wish me good luck. I begin pacing, looking back up into the mirror. I hear a knock at the door.
"Come in!" I holler.
"Are you ready?" Soda asks, without looking inside.
"I think so."
"Then let's get going!" I walk out nervously and Darry opens the door to the sanctuary of the church for the last people milling around. He starts to go in himself.
"Darry!" I say. He turns to me. "Um... You know how dads are supposed to walk their daughters down the aisle?" He nods. "And you know how my dad died, right?" He nods again. "Well, I was wondering if you'll take place of my dad? You've kinda become a father figure to me. It would mean everything to me if you did."
"Sure thing, JT. C'mon now, everyone's waiting on you." He allows me to link my arm in his. I smile and look up at him as the piano starts.
"Thanks, Darry. For everything."
"Anything for my sister-in-law."
The doors open, and I begin walking down the aisle. Everyone rises and smiles. Mom wipes her eyes a little as she bounces Baby on her hip. Carol, Ms. Hazel, my friends, and a couple other people sit on the bride's side of the church. I smile as I see Ms. J sitting amongst them. The gang's gathered on the groom's side. They're all smiling at me and giving a thumbs-up. They look so nice in their ties or jackets. Even Dally and Johnny found something. I figured none of them didn't or even wouldn't dress up.
We stop right before the altar. I hand my flowers to mom. Darry kisses my cheek and goes to sit down with the gang. I step up to Ponyboy's level. He's smiling from ear to ear as he grabs both my hands.
"Family and friends, we are gathered here today to wed Jane Thompson and Ponyboy Curtis. If anyone objects to this marriage, speak now or forever hold you peace," the priest says right away.
Two-Bit snickers. He's obviously thinking about objecting.
"May we please have the rings?" the priest continues.
We turn towards the pews as Tucker walks from the first row with the rings safely secured down on a pillow. Everyone "aw's". Ponyboy bends down and takes the rings, and then he sends him back to Dallas.
"Will you please place the ring on each other's left hand?" We do what he says. "Jane Thompson, do you take Ponyboy Michael Curtis for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish as your lawfully wedded husband?"
"I do," I say proudly, trying to hold back my tears but smiling.
"Ponyboy Curtis, do you take Jane Taylor Thompson for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish as you lawfully wedded wife?"
"I do," he says.
"Do you have vows?" Pony nods.
"Jane, you've been by my side since we first met. You never fail to make me smile even on my worst days. You're absolutely everything to me, and I don't know where'd I'd be without you. You've given me a beautiful daughter and a great life. I love you more than you'll ever know. Thank you for everything," he says, staring straight into my eyes. I can tell how sincere he is. I'm drawn in every word he says. And my tears keeping flowing. I quickly regain my cool for my vows.
"Ponyboy, you've been my best friend that I could count on through everything... We've had our ups and downs, but I know by the end of the day, I can come to you with all my problems. You've loved me and cared for me when I felt scared and alone... When I look back, you were always there. Thank you for being the one who stood by me through everything, for being there for Baby, and for being you. I love you with all of my heart. Forever..." Heavy tears roll down my cheeks. His eyes look a little watery too.
"We will now unite this family as one." I take Baby from mom. The priest lights a long match stick and gives it to Ponyboy. We each light a candle, but we both hold Baby's hand and light the smallest candle. Ponyboy blows out the matchstick.
"By the lighting of these candles, it represents unity of one family. Do you both promise to love and cherish your family within yourselves and families of each other, and support them in time of need?"
"We do," Ponyboy and I say together. He nods. Mom takes Baby again. We resume holding hands.
"Then by the state of Oklahoma, I now pronounce you husband and wife. Congratulations," the priest says. "You may kiss the bride."
"Finally!" Ponyboy says. Everyone laughs, and he lifts my veil and leans down to kiss me. Our lips meet for the first time as a married couple. He dips me down. Everyone cheers and stands up, whistling and clapping and calling our names.
Someone snaps our picture as we turn. We walk out hand in hand out of the sanctuary. We step out of sight until everyone gathers outside. When it's clear, we step outside the church doors after I pick up my flower bouquet mom had set aside. We step out into the bright sunlight, and everyone begins throwing rice at us.
Of course to add an original twist, Ponyboy helps me in the back of Darry's pickup truck. We were just going down the road so what did it matter?
We wave to everyone as we begin to drive off. Ponyboy grabs my hand.
"How does it feel to officially be a Curtis?" he asks.
"Perfect, but you're all still crazy. That's why I love you." He kisses me again.
"I'm never gonna get used to this..."
"You better because you ain't getting rid of me any time soon."
"Why would I want to?" he asks with a smile.
•••
We descend the stairs at our house. The living room is cleared of the furniture, and everyone is standing around just waiting for us. They clap as they see us. We all go into the kitchen for something of a small reception. A beautiful white cake is on the end of the table.
"Who made the cake?!" I ask.
"I did, honey. Who else?" Ms. Hazel says.
"Of course you did. What can you not do?"
"Keep up with you," she says jokingly. Everyone laughs.
Ponyboy and I are handed a knife. We hold it together and cut two pieces of cake for each of us.
"Alright, here's a rule. No shoving it in my face," I warn.
"Okay." He puts icing on my nose and kisses me. "Serious this time." He wipes the icing off my nose. We do the traditional cake feeding thing. I think of it more as shoving cake in the other's face. It's more fun that way.
We then interlock our arms and hold a glass of wine. We take a sip and set the glasses down. Might as well save the rest of that for later.
Everyone congratulates us, and everything starts going by too quickly. Eventually we gather back in the living room and start up some records.
"I think JT should have a dance with her mother. What do y'all think?" Soda asks. Everyone claps. My mom smiles and she walks out to me in the cleared space.
"I suppose I'm in place of your father?"
"Just for today. You can't replace him forever, mom." She laughs.
"You've gotten funnier." I smile. We begin to slowly sway and turn. It makes me sad to think it's not my father. I love my mom and all, but it's not the same.
I spin away from her and return to Darry. He smiles. "I'll take the other half of the dance."
"Thanks," I tell him.
"I know it's supposed to be a father's dance and all, but-"
"It's fine, really," I insist. He spins me, and we dance out the rest of the song. I hug him.
"Now Ponyboy should get his first dance!" Johnny speaks up. Everyone cheers. He walks out to me with his arms behind his back. A slow song starts. He holds his hand out to me. I take it, and he slowly pulls me to him. The music suddenly changes tempo and sounds a little more lively but passionate. He dips me down one time and brings me up close to him. I hug him closer to me, placing my head on his shoulder. We away back and forth as the music slows down. It stops, and everyone cheers.
The rest of the night is a blur. We put Baby and Tucker to bed, and some guests begin leaving since it's getting late. I drink a little more from that glass of wine and feel bubbly for a while. The feeling soon passes.
After everyone decides to turn in, Ponyboy and I go downstairs in the basement rather than upstairs because mom is in our room for her stay. He carries me down the steps as I hold my shoes. I snuggle up against him and smile. The thought suddenly hits me.
I am now Jane Taylor Curtis...