Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I walk to the store the next afternoon with Baby in her stroller, Ponyboy walking beside me, and Darry's words in my head.

"Guys, we're moving."

I'm not sure if Soda and Ponyboy like the idea. I do though. He explained to us that it had several bedrooms, bathrooms, a basement, an attic, and a large kitchen and living room. He said we'd go look at it today.

"Hey, Pony. What do you think about moving?" I ask.

"I don't know. That house has so many memories, but we could use the space."

"We really could. You know what would be cool too?"

"What?" he asks.

"If the gang could live there with us. Or they could crash there any time they wanted. It's got five bedrooms plus some couches, and we could put an extra bed in the basement."

"That's not a bad idea, JT!"

"Hey, what does Soda think?" I ask.

"Well, he's in if everyone else is. He don't care if it means what's best for us."

"That's good."

"Yeah... Man, it'd be nice if Johnny lived with us too. I mean, he don't need all that trouble at home. He needs somewhere better."

"I know," I agree. "We'll probably talk about it soon."

We walk in silence for a moment just enjoying the beautiful day. I begin thinking about what Soda said as he was thinking up wild scenarios for why Darry was on the phone last night.

A dream vacation to the beach... I've honestly never been. I think it would be real fun to.

"I want to travel one day, Ponyboy," I tell him. "I wanna go to the beach with you and Baby one day. We could go as a family. It would be fun."

"I'll get you there one day. I don't know when or how, but I will. I promise," he says.

I walk into the store and grab all the things we need while Ponyboy pushed Baby around outside. I trade him the bag for the stroller, and we begin heading back to the house.

"Ponyboy," I begin cautiously, "how come you didn't run out on me when we figured out I was pregnant?"

"Well, I know I've always been shy about it and all, but it was because I love you."

"Well it really means a lot. If that happened to me back home, everyone would have run out on me..."

"Aw don't talk like that, honey. You've got us now. Don't worry about everything," he says. I give him a weak smile.

"Thanks, Ponyboy. You sure are the best."

"You know, I've always been funny around girls. I could never talk to them! I guess 'cause I was scared to offend them or something."

"Trust me. It takes a little more to offend me than you think. Is that why me and you were always kinda shy around each other?" I ask.

"I guess so."

"Bababa!" Baby rambles. She begins making needless noise. I thought getting her out of the house would've been good. I guess it is since she's babbling on so much.

"You know, she's gonna be just like you," he says. "I can tell."

"Oh really? How so?"

"Just look at her! She's so adventurous and sometimes a little too noisy."