Chapter 12

Chapter 12
"Is it possible for you to bring my mother back to this time?" I ask. Ms. J shakes her head.
"I don't think so. But maybe I can. She'll think it's all a dream."
"Anything's fine by me! How do I call her though?" She hands me a slip of paper with a name and phone number scribbled down.
"Call and tell her you're in Tulsa. She'll travel down here then go back home to the future. I'll be sure to go back with her somehow. She'll believe it's a dream. I promise," she assures me.
"Do you think it could work?"
"Yes! I think so. I mean, I brought you back here didn't I?"
"Well, I guess so," I answer. "What if something goes wrong?"
"If something were to go wrong, I'll let you know. Otherwise, enjoy your wedding. I'll see you there!"
•••
"Babe, get up. We're moving today," Ponyboy says as he shakes my arm. "C'mon, Darry's already got a lot of stuff in the truck."
"We're just moving down the road. Let me sleep, Pony." He kisses my forehead.
"Get up." I roll out of bed and then lean against him. He holds me steady. "Good morning."
"You're lucky I love you," I tell him.
I quickly get dressed to help out with everything before we go. Darry looks kinda sad as he moves some of the last boxes outside.
"Darry, you alright?" I ask.
"Yeah. It's just that this house is so full of memories, you know? I hate to see it go."
"It'll probably go to good hands." He hands me a lightweight box. He picks up and heavier one, and we head outside to put them in the truck.
"I know... I'm really glad we're getting this new house though. We need the room," he says.
"It'll feel like we're all one big family." I smile at him. He laughs and shakes his head.
"Ain't we already?" I shrug. He pats my shoulder lightly. "C'mon. We got a few more things to get."
We finish loading up the truck. They already took some other things there though. The house, as far as I know, already has furniture and everything. Darry took some furniture from here though to put in the basement.
It still strikes me as odd that he just gets a house offered to him. I guess no one wants a bunch of socs moving in. I guess we should be happy because we didn't have to pay anything. We just have to pay bills from now on. Which is fine by me.
But I still have the wedding to worry about too. It's in less than two weeks, and I ought to call my mother. I have that piece of paper in my pocket somehow. I'll try the phone this afternoon.
Darry starts the truck. I hold Baby in my arms. Pony, Soda, and Dally stand beside me. Dally's holding Tucker. Darry steps out and stands by us. We all stare at the house.
"Boy, I'm sure gonna miss it here," Soda says.
"Me too," Ponyboy adds.
"Y'all know we still own it, right? Until we sell it that is," Darry says. We nod.
"We've had some fun here, huh?" I say.
"Yeah... If you consider changing diapers fun," Dallas says. I lightly punch his arm.
"Shut up."
"Well, let's get going! I'm excited to see this house!" Soda says. We all pile into the truck. Well, I sit in the cab with Darry, Babydoll, and Tucker. Pony, Soda, and Dally sit on the tailgate to make sure nothing falls out. Why not? It's just down the road.
Darry and I talk about the house when we pull up to it. I feel my mouth drop open.
"Oh my gosh! Darry, it's perfect!"
He laughs and turns the truck off. "You ain't even seen the inside yet."
I get Tucker and Baby out of the truck. Tucker's giggling at something and pointing. Baby starts mumbling.
"Mamama," she says.
"Yeah. Baby look! Say 'house.'"
"Ow." I laugh.
"Good enough."
"Hey JT, how come she always says an extra 'ma'?" Soda asks. I shrug.
"Beats me. But it's cute," I answer. Tucker starts pulling my hair. Dally runs over and points his finger at him.
"No," he says sternly. He takes Tucker away.
"So he understands now?" I ask.
"Yeah I guess."
"Let's hope he remembers it and doesn't end up like his dad and doing things anyway." We laugh.
"Enough talking. Let's go inside!" Soda says excitedly.
"Hold on, little buddy. If you don't have a kid, grab a box," Darry says. After everyone's got something, we walk up to the front steps of the tall house. He sets the box down and grabs the door knob.
"Darry, let us in already!" Pony says.
"Ladies first, Pony," he says.
"Why thank you," I say with a smile.
"I now welcome you to the new Curtis household," Darry continues. "So without further ado, let's go inside!" He opens the door to reveal a cozy looking house. I gasp at the first sight. I slowly walk in and feel my smile growing wider.
"Mamama," Baby says.
"What do you want, Babydoll Marie? I swear, you're just like me." She keeps babbling.
"Shoot, Darry. They just gave you this house?" Dally asks.
"Yup. C'mon. Let's get to unpacking, and then we can have lunch or something. But first, let me show y'all around," he says.
Darry leads us around the rooms. We call dibs on certain bedrooms. Everyone gets settled in. After a couple hours, I start making some lunch for everyone. We're pretty much unpacked. Then Two-Bit, Steve, and Johnny come by. I hear them talking about the house and smile to myself. I then remember the paper in my pocket.
I go to the phone and dial my mother's phone number with shaky hands. I take a deep breath. It rings a few times before picking up.
"Hello?" her familiar voice says. I almost breakdown right there. I haven't talked to her in so long.
"Mom?" I ask.
"Jane? Is that- is that you?"
"Yes, mom! It is me."
"Oh! Baby girl, I've missed you so much! How are you? Where are you at? Is everything alright?" she asks.
"I'm fine, mom. I'm living in Tulsa. How have you been?" I ask.
"Good. I assume you got my letters..."
"Mhm..."
"Well, without your father, it's lonely at home. But it's better for him so he doesn't have to suffer."
"Yeah... Well, I wanted to talk to you about something," I say nervously.
"What is it?"
"I know this is... sudden, but don't be mad at me. Please. But um... I was hoping you could catch a train to come here?"
"Is there something wrong? Why can't you just come to Texas?" I sigh.
"Mom, I'm getting married in less than two weeks."
"Ah! You are?! Oh I'm so happy for you!" she says. Thank goodness.
"Yeah. You'll love him. He's absolutely perfect, and he treats me like he should."
"Oh that's wonderful! When would you like to me come down there?" she asks.
"Well the wedding is next Saturday. Can you come down on Thursday? We'll pick you up from the station, and you can stay with us to get to know him and the family. Then you can go back home."
"Will you not be coming with me?" she asks.
"I'm sorry. I'm going to stay in Tulsa. I love it here."
"That's fine. You've made decisions on your own for two or three years now. Oh I can't wait to see you!"
"Me too! I have a surprise for you too! I'll see you next week. I love you, mom."
"I love you too, JT. Goodbye."
I hang up and sigh with relief. I'm going to see my mom. She's going to meet the gang. She's going to hold her first grandchild. She'll see the wedding. Oh my gosh...
We all sit at the large dining room table and eat. Two-Bit, Johnny, Steve, and Dally lean or sit on the counters sipping on a drink.
"Guys," I say happily, "you'll never believe me."
"What did you do?" Darry asks, expecting me to have already broken something judging by his tone.
"Well, I made a phone call earlier."
"And...?" Soda prompts.
"Please act civilized next week. My mother is coming down from Texas to the wedding." Ponyboy drops his food back on his plate.
"Looks like we gotta get our ties out," Two-Bit says.
"I ain't wearing a tie," Steve mumbles. I ignore the comments.
"I hope she doesn't hate me," Ponyboy says.
"She won't! I've already convinced her of that. And I haven't told her about Baby or anything yet. All she knows is that she's coming on a train, and we're picking her up. She'll stay here, but I'm not putting her in the basement. Me and Pony will sleep down there or something. Which means you three have baby duty for two nights," I explain.
"Speaking of weddings," Two-Bit says. He pulls something white out of his jacket and tosses it to me. "I snatched Baby a bow. Thought you might like it. It ought to go good with a little white dress for her."
"Thanks, Two-Bit," I tell him. He gives a crooked grin. "Well, I'm gonna go down to the shop to see what Ms. Hazel can do about these dresses."
"You're not gonna wear your mom's? I figured you would," Johnny says.
"Poor thing got burned up in a house fire we had when I was a little girl. I kinda always wanted to, but it didn't work out for me."
"You want me to come with you?" Ponyboy asks.
"It's bad luck to see the dress before the wedding. And I'll be telling you the same thing the day of because it really is bad luck to see the bride before hand."
"A simple no would've been alright, JT." He laughs.
"I'm sorry. I'm just so excited!"
"Do you want anyone to go with you?" he asks.
"I think I'll keep it a surprise. Bye, guys! I'll see you later. Oh and take care of Baby. Don't let her eat stuff off the floor. She's been doing that."
"Gross," Steve mumbles. I smile and walk out the front door. I begin walking down the street to get to town.
I can't believe this. I'm getting married in a week and a half! It's strange to think we met just three years ago. In that time, we've gone through so much. It's amazing.
"JT? What are you doing here, honey?" Ms. Hazel asks as soon as I step in the door. "Don't you know it's your day off?"
"I just couldn't stay away," I reply. She laughs. "No, seriously. I have a huge favor to ask." Carol comes up beside her.
"Anything," she says.
"I need two dresses. One for Babydoll and one for me. But they're for a special occasion. I'm getting married!"
"Oh I knew it was coming!" Ms. Hazel says happily.
"Congratulations!" Carol says.
"Thanks! But I really need your help. You got anything?"
"Honey, do you know who I am? I've got everything you'll ever need in this place. Follow me. I'll get you a dress even if it kills me," Ms. Hazel says. I follow her and Carol to the back of the shop. She opens a door I've never been in before to reveal wedding dresses galore.
She asks my dress size, takes measurements, and all that boring stuff. She pulls out a dress.
"Slip this one on," she says. "It's just a suggestion." Carol helps me with the back. I look in the mirror and frown at my appearance. This isn't looking right.
"I feel like a doily. Too much lace," I say. Both nod.
"Agreed. Try this one," Ms. Hazel says.
"Too heavy."
"Too long."
"Too cream."
"I'll trip on it."
"I'm gonna get sweat buckets in this."
We go through several more dresses. The complaints and disapproval go along with each one I take back off. I begin to feel discouraged.
"At this rate, I might as well go in my birthday suit," I say, sitting down.
"Honey, the last thing you need to do is go naked. We'll find you something!" She pulls out another dress. "This is the last in your size. Try it. It might be the one."
I slip on the dress and turn to look in the mirror. My heart stops. It looks absolutely perfect.
It's a perfectly white, lightweight dress. The bodice has a thick lace design. The sleeves are three-quarter length translucent lace running up along the top the add to the bodice. A small lace design finishes off the collar around my neck. The bottom of the skirt has a lace design.
It's perfect.
"Oh my gosh... You look amazing," Carol says.
"If I were that boy, I would've married you sooner!" Ms. Hazel adds. I laugh.
"Thank you! It's beautiful."
"Now that you're in it, honey." She smiles sweetly at me. I stare at my reflection and feel the waterworks coming.
"Oh don't cry!" Carol says.
"I'm just so overwhelmed. I'm sorry. Thanks so much. I love it. What do I owe you for it?"
"Nothing," Ms. Hazel says. "You can just have it. It wasn't gonna sell anyway.
"Are you sure?" I ask.
"C'mon, JT. It's too perfect for you to have to pay for it," Carol adds.
"Thanks so much! I couldn't begin to thank you enough," I tell them.
"No need to. Now let's go find a dress for Babydoll, huh?" Ms. Hazel asks. I nod and change out of the dress. We find a white dress with embroidery around the sleeves and bottom of the dress for Baby. She'll look so cute in that bow Two-Bit got, well, stole for her.
I thank them again and head home. I walk by the house we just moved out of today. It looks so empty now. But the happiness and memories moved with us. So it wouldn't really matter where we were. We always have each other.
I walk in the front door to see Darry crawling on the floor and playing with Baby. I stop dead in my tracks and just stare at him. He looks up at me.
"What?" he asks innocently. "Can't an uncle play with his niece?"
I put my hands up. "I didn't say anything! Carry on." I start walking upstairs. "Oh and by the way. You have baby food on the back of your pants." He sighs loudly, and I laugh to myself.
I walk into mine and Pony's new room in hopes to get a nap. I'm pooped from dress shopping. Well just putting dresses on and taking them off. It's hard work!
"How was your dress search?" Pony asks. I jump.
"Jeez, Pony. You scared me!"
"Sorry."
"It went great."
"That's good. I'm excited to see your dress," he says with a genuine smile.
"Of course you are." I lie down on the bed and stare up at the ceiling. Midday light shines through the curtains. The room feels lighter.
He sits down on the other side, kicks off his shoes, and then proceeds to roll over close to me.
"Can I help you?" I ask. He laughs.
"Yes you can. You see, I haven't heard you laugh because of something I've done in a while."
"Is that so?"
"Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to stand up." He stands up and comes around to the other side where I am. I slowly stand up like he wants.
"Now what?"
"Put your arms out," he says.
"Pony, what're you-"
"No questions, ma'am. This is very important." I roll my eyes and smile at him. He studies me for a second and snaps into a different mode and tickles me. He tackles me back down on the bed, keeping me pinned. I begin laughing and trying to get away, but he has me stuck.
I'm already breathless from laughing so hard. He doesn't let up. I hit him until he finally lets go. He smiles down at me.
"Yay, I got you to laugh," he says childishly.
"Yay, you did. Let me up. I wanna take a nap."
"What's the password?"
"I love you?" I say more in a question.
"Nope!"
"Oh c'mon, Ponyboy. That's it every time."
"I changed it." I roll my eyes yet again and grab the collar of his shirt. I pull him close to me until our lips meet. He slowly pulls back.
"You got it right," he says. I laugh and crawl out from under him and onto the bed. I lay my head on the pillow and feel arms wrap around me. I smile to myself knowing he's exactly who I want to spend the rest of my life with.