Five: Run

"You cannot run away from yourself; you're always right behind you,"

~A fortune from a fortune cookie

Drapetomania, Michael thinks, and overwhelming urge to run away. Michael's battered from his encounter with his dad and he can no longer feel his left side of his chest. His thighs are aching with the feeling of fresh cuts and Michael has managed to put on a pair of his own black skinny jeans. He left on Luke's sweater due to the fact that it smells like him.

Luke had texted Michael a few minutes ago saying that he went into Michael's phone for his number when he was asleep. Michael might have thought it was creepy if it weren't Luke. He hadn't texted back, but was suddenly tempted to let Luke know what he was doing so that someone had the opportunity to find him should they really care.

Michael's preparing to run away. He won't take any food, not that there's any to take, but he's already grabbed the book holding all his life's savings. Michael's counted it and recounted it and it's roughly four thousand dollars. It's sorted into piles of five hundred and attached with elastics Michael found lying around. He's filled his school bag with clothes and stuffed the money in there.

He took a shower when he got home and he's not sure why he's just sitting there. Maybe it's the fact that he likes Luke and can't make himself leave. So Michael sends a text and climbs out his window carefully lowering himself to the ground and setting off at a brisk pace.

To Luke;) : If I had a reason to stay in this place it would have been you. You're the only one I'm going to miss, but maybe running from this place will take the pain away. Love, Mikey xx

Michael doesn't know if Luke will read it or if he'll care. He doesn't even know if Luke will even understand what Michael's trying to say. But it's all he's got. And with any hope it'll be enough and Luke will save him.

In truth Michael's not sure what he's running from. It could be his dad or his mum. More probably it's himself and Michael's just hoping distance will help, because nothing else is anymore. If this doesn't work it means only one thing will, but as much as Michael wants to die he doesn't want to leave Luke wondering what happened and if he could have done something. Because Luke can't help, but Michael can't tell him what's really going on.

From: Luke;) : What??

From: Luke;) : Mikey what's going on??

From: Luke;) : R u running away??

From: Luke;) : Michael!!

From: Luke;) : Dammit I know ur reading these

From: Luke;) : Please don't leave Mikey. I need u here

From: Luke;): Just tell me what's happening in ur life kitten and I'll help you

From: Luke;) : Please Michael

From: Luke;) : please

Michael's heart aches as he reads the messages from Luke. He doesn't want to leave the blonde, but it's the only option other than death and that's if this works. He thinks if Luke had to choose between Michael leaving or dying he would let him leave. But Michael can't tell Luke that death's the only thing he hasn't tried, and the only thing that seems it will work.

To Luke;) : This is my only other option, Luke. I don't have a choice. I hope it works, for your sake. Love, Mikey xx

Michael decides against turning his phone off as it continues buzzing in his pocket if the blonde is smart enough to track it then Michael thinks he might be willing to follow him back home.