Chapter 4

*Lori's POV*

I was in a house of murderers. Or as far as I knew anyway. I tried calling my dad twice more, but the same thing had happened. He hung up. After the third time, he blocked me to get his work done...

I sat down at the table and shook, tears streaming down my face. I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"Poppet... If you need to stay here a bit longer, that's perfectly fine... You weren't afraid of us yesterday..." He said quietly.

I flinched a bit from his touch at first, but finally just sat there.

"Do you guys... Really kill people?..." I asked quietly.

He hesitated.

"Well... If I say we've never done such a thing... That would be a horrible lie..." He said in a quiet voice. "We've done things in the past... And we'll probably do more in the future... It's just... Who we are I suppose..."

It was silent for a minute. Oliver finally patted my shoulder.

"Well! No time dwelling in past problems! Tell you what, Poppet... I'll make us some tea and we can discuss what happened yesterday..." He said with a soft smile. I nodded a bit and sighed.

"That sounds... Great." I said with a small smile.

He nodded and left for the kitchen. Within minutes he was back with a steaming pot of tea and the rest of the tea set on a silver platter. He was carrying a small plate of cookies as well.

"Here we are, Poppet! Tea and cookies! Now... How about we discuss yesterday..." He said, pouring two cups of tea.

"Well... This all started out as a vacation... I got off the plane and found the person looking for me and... A-and..." My voice faltered. He rushed over.

"Poppet, no don't cry!" He patted my shoulder. "Don't push yourself! It's fine!"

I shook my head.

"The guy tried to kill me... He drove me into the forest and held a gun to my head... I-if it weren't for a polar bear, I wouldn't be here..."

He had a small smile.

"Polar bear?" He asked, curious. I nodded.

"Would you like to see him?" He asked, smiling.

"You... Own the polar bear?" I asked, confused.

"Well... I don't. But Matt does! His name is Kuma, and being as he went after the man instead of you, I'd say he has an excellent judge of character!" He beamed. I smiled a little. He was a really nice guy.

We continued with our sweets for the next hour, discussing Canada and life in general.

"So... What was Allen getting so bent out of shape about? About the cupcakes, I mean." I asked after we had finished the tea.

"Oh... Well, I suppose you could say... Every once in a while, people help me with the cupcakes..." He said a bit shy.

I sat down a cookie I had picked up. He looked up and chuckled.

"Oh no, Poppet, don't worry about that. Those cookies were store bought. And besides, I'm not going to fix you anything like that. That would be extremely rude of me!"

I picked up the cookie again, smiling out of relief.

"You're all very nice... Well... At least you are..." I said, taking a bite from the cookie.

"Why thank you! And I'd like to apologize for Allen... He's on the flirty side... And Matt just doesn't like people... But i'm sure they'll warm up to you the longer you stay! W-well... That is if you stay." He said quietly.