Chapter 5

*Lori's POV*

"Over there's the pond. I'd stand over here, though." He pointed to the area on the other side of him, farther from the lake. "Thin ice. I was never sure about how far that pond actually came to..."

I took a moment to gaze around at the scenery.

"This place is wonderful..." I said quietly. He looked around with me and nodded. We walked around the front and back yards and looked around at the forest around us. Soon, we heard a growl. I looked around, a bit on edge. Matt looked into the woods and rolled his eyes.

"Come on out Kuma." He said casually.

I almost didn't see it at first. Its fur blended in with the white snow. Soon enough, it was out of the forest and running at us. Fast.

I held my hands over my face and Matt stayed the same.

"Sit." He said strictly.

The polar bear stopped immediately and sat down in front of him. He smiled a bit, reaching over and petting his head. I kept my hands at my sides, afraid to even move. Kuma finally got up and walked back into the woods, leaving Matt to show me around again.

He didn't talk as much as Allen. He talked when it was necessary, and as far as I could tell, he didn't prefer small talk. He preferred isolation, being as he stayed about 4 feet away from me, and thinking back on the times where Allen jumped on him, I can see why he's an introvert. 

He walked with me and I could see the way his eyes seemed to light up when he pointed things out. He explained things very simply, and i couldn't help but notice that the bright snow reflected off his jaw line almost perfectly. In all honesty, none of the guys here looked bad. I hadn't seen Francois in person yet, but I'm sure he was no different, judging by the pictures I've seen on the walls of the cabin.

"You guys are really nice..." I said quietly when he had finished pointing things out. He shrugged.

"Mom's the nice one... He always loved the idea of having an inn or a bed and breakfast. He likes making friends..."

"I can see that. He's pretty friendly." I said, looking at my feet. "What's the deal with Allen?... I-if you don't mind me asking, of course!" I stuttered. He shook his head.

"It's fine. And... Allen and I grew up differently I guess... He's rowdy and I'm-"

"Rowdy when you need to be..." I interrupted. He stared at the ground for a few minutes and nodded. 

"Yeah... That's how it always worked." He said quietly.

We continued walking around the yard, the snow growing more and more. I was still shivering a bit, but Matt's jacket kept most of the wind off me. I felt myself actually smiling after a while. This place was so nice. It seemed like just walking around a nice snowy forest helped calm my nerves of the fact that I was staying with a bunch of psychopaths. 

Well... maybe they weren't all like that...

"Have you... Killed-"

"I think we should go back inside." He interrupted. "It's getting colder..." He mumbled, walking to the back door and opening it. He gestured for me to go and I nodded, thanking him quietly. I guess that wasn't an easy subject...

"Oh! There you two are!" I heard Oliver say happily. "Did you two have fun?" he asked with a bright smile on his face. 

Matt shrugged and walked passed him, walking up the long stairway and around a corner out of sight. I heard a door open and slam slightly. I frowned, looking at my hands and Oliver frowned too.

"Don't take it personally, Poppet. He's like this at times... But I have to admit he is more sweeter than Allen... It's takes time, I suppose." He said quietly, setting a hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah... I understand..." I said quietly. "He really likes the outdoors, huh?" I asked, trying to get the spirits up again.

"Oh! Yes! He loves it here, actually. Matt has always loved a nice secluded area... Allen prefers a isolated area too, it's just that he hates the snow." He began laughing. "And his look on a house is that it isn't a house without a yard full of broken down-cars!" He exclaimed, laughing.

I laughed too. The more I found out about these guys, the better my spirits were in. I had always loved making knew friends and even if I only had one here so far, it was great. 

Oliver started walking to the kitchen.

"Come on, Poppet!" He said happily. "Let me get you a drink! It's was probably dreadfully cold out there without a jacket... Of course, it seems you managed to find one..." He said quietly, smirking and raising his eyebrows. It took me a second to realize i still had Matt's jacket on.

"Oh... OH! No! Nonono, no it's nothing like that! It's just... He saw that I didn't have a jacket! T-That's all!" I stuttered out, trying to get him to abandon the idea. He just kept smiling.

"It's alright, Poppet! I was just kidding... But, I do think Matt would enjoy a significant other every know and then..." He mumbled.

"Heard that." I said quietly, giving him a look. He just giggled.

"Sorry, sorry... Just saying..."

I heard footsteps behind me. They sounded heavy and kind of scuffed across the floor. I saw a puff of smoke above my head and I slowly turned around.

Tall was all I could think. The man was taller than Allen and Matt, even... And he looked like he didn't eat much. In his hand was a cigarette and his long blond hair was greasy and hung in a sloppy pony tail to his shoulders. His skin was pale and his face had a sunken-in look to it. He hadn't shaved in a couple days.

"Bonjour..." He said in a dark gravely voice. His breath smelled like dead alcohol and stale cigarettes. He kept a straight face, staring at me with what looked like a death wish.

"H-Hey..." I mumbled. I got out of his way and he slowly walked towards Oliver who looked a bit scared.

"D-Dear, we have a guest... She'll be staying with us for a while actually..." He said quietly. 

The man nodded.

"That is fine... Just keep her out of my way." He mumbled, walking back out.

"L-Love you..." Oliver stuttered quietly. The man stopped at the door but didn't turn around. 

"Oui..." He said quietly. He continued to walk and another door was heard opening and closing.

I turned back around to face Oliver and he seemed to be on the verge of tears.

"Oliver?..." I asked quietly. "Are you ok?..." 

He nodded and tried hiding his face. He quickly stood up. 

"I-I'll be right back, Poppet... Then I'll get our drinks." He mumbled quietly, his voice breaking. He ran out and the door closed behind him. I sat there in the kitchen, worried and confused.