Chapter 16

*Lori's POV*

Allen stumbled back to the small bathroom, jumping up on the counter. I grabbed some gauze, alcohol, etc. I poured some alcohol on a rag and began to dab.

"This is going to hurt like a motherfucker..." I mumbled. He didn't say anything. He slowly nodded and only winced slightly as the chemicals touched his open wound.

"You still drunk? Or sober now?" I asked quietly, trying to see if he was ok. The least I could do is attempt to make small talk. Still, he sat in silence. The only noise was the occasional bubbling sound of his throat, emmiting more blood.

After about 30 minutes, I had successfully cleaned all the blood away and his neck was fully patched up with clean gauze. Finally, after staring off at the wall for the entire time, Allen spoke.

"He's my brother."

I looked up at him, a bit surprised.

"I know he is, Allen.." I said quietly. He frowned and stared at the wall still.

"No. He's my brother. He's always been my brother... And he might not come back..." He trailed off, saying everything in a dark ominious voice.

"Allen, let's not talk like-"

"No." He sat up straighter, interrupting me. "You don't know anything. You're blind to this. You practically just met him. I've been fucking living with him ever since we were babies. We're twins, Lori. We are twins. You have NO IDEA WHAT IT'S LIKE!" He shouted, inches from my face. I backed up, ready for him to start swinging, but all he could manage was to inhale and let out a shakey sigh, relaxing onto the counter once more. All the commotion had got his blood pumping, slowly leaving a red stain to seep through the new gauze. I quietly walked around him, still keeping a good three-foot distance, examining his wound from a far. His neck was the only thing injured. He was going to be fine.

I gave a small nod, letting him know we were done. I tried to ignore the multiple pools of blood that had gathered on the bathroom floor as I made my way to the door. Right before I had completely left, I felt a strong grip around my arm.

Here it comes... I thought. But nothing ever came. The grasp softened as I turned to meet the shell of a man. His eyes had tears in them.

"What if he doesn't come back..." We let out in a hoarse whisper.

I wrapped my arms around him as he practically collapsed into me. He was so weak, and I knew it wasn't because of his wound. We both dropped to our knees in the bathroom door way. I held him for quite some time, listening to him sob loudly, then quietly, then loudly again. At times, he was practically screaming. Things calmed down after another 30 minutes passed, but we never moved.

"W-we went trick o-or treating once... I-In town..." He mumbled out. I nodded, listening to him patiently.

"H-his costume was better. H-he was always b-better than me... So h-he got more candy. After w-we went to sleep that night, I-I ran in and s-switched the b-bags!" He finished in a wave of more shaking and broken sobs. I rubbed his back, just nodding. That's all I could do at the moment.

"Oh God, Lori, I-I should've let him k-keep the stupid c-candy!!" He exclaimed. H-he even saw me!! I know h-he fucking did! But... B-but he let me keep it anyway... L-Lori?" He mumbled again. I looked down at him. By this point, he was completely laying in the floor, using my thigh as a pillow.

"Yes, Allen?" I asked in a soft voice.

There was a small silence in that moment. It's as if the whole house was listening. You could hear a pen drop.

"I love my brother... I really do love Matt... I-I know I don't act like it at t-times... A-and I know I could b-be a better brother i-if I tried... But I really d-do love Matt..." He trailed off.

Tears began to fill my eyes.

"I understand..." I let out in a small whisper. "I love him too..."