Chapter 8

*Lori's POV*

"Allen, feet off the table please." Oliver said with a slightly irritated look. Allen grunted, moving his military boot-covered feet and they fell heavily to the floor.

Matt wasn't attending dinner this evening. Oliver explained that his shoulder was pretty much shattered and the only way to a fast recovery was for him to relax and stay still. I felt kind of bad for him, having to be alone without anyone to talk to...

"Sunglasses off too please..." Oliver said quietly, breaking me from my thoughts. Allen growled.

"Fuck. Off."

I tensed up, afraid of things getting out of hand. The kitchen door opened and Francois walked in, smoking a ciggarrete casually.

A loud slap was heard and Oliver and I jumped. Allen was in the floor, holding his sore jaw. His sunglasses flew across the room.

"Listen to him you little cretin... He tried raising you with manners. Use them." He said coldly, sitting down and getting a plate.

I held out a shakey hand to help Allen up, but he growled and pushed it away, getting up himself. The dinner was continued in complete silence, dispite the clinks of silverware against the plates. Oliver finally spoke up after what seemed like hours. I had just finished my plate.

"Poppet, would you mind taking a plate up to Matt? He may need help eating... I-i hate to bother you, but-" he began, stumbling over words.

I smiled and nodded, standing up.

"No problem! That's perfectly fine." I said with a smile, pushing in my chair and taking my plate to the kitchen. I heard Oliver talk from the dining room.

"His plate's in the microwave! It should still be warm!"

I opened the microwave, taking it out and sure enough it was. I walked upstairs and I could hear that the dining room was silent again.

I walked up the two stories to Matt's room and quietly knock. Whatever was on the TV paused and there was a husky "Who is it?"

"It's Lori... Oliver wanted me to help you eat so you wouldn't stress your shoulder." I said, a bit shy. I was always awkward when walking into someone's room and I never really knew why.

"Sure, come in." His voice was much lighter now. I opened the door and walked in, giving him a small wave. He gave a small wave in return with his good hand.

"What'd Mom make?" He asked, trying to see the plate.

"Meatloaf with some cooked vegetables and pasta salad. It was really good." I said, sitting down in the desk chair and scooting it a bit closer to the bed. He looked a bit relieved to see that the food looked amazing.

"Last time I had an injury he tried making me smoothies of my favorite foods..." He mumbled. He shuddered a bit and shook his head.

I smiled and looked at his good arm.

"Do you think you can handle this on your own?" I asked, a bit concerned.

"I think I'll be able to... Just sit it on my lap."

I did as he asked and he fed himself with his good arm.

It lasted for about an hour and we just watched a hockey game he had recorded. No talking was nice, compared to the harsh words of Allen. After a while, I started to get a bit tired. I quietly yawned, covering my mouth to hide it.

"You should head to bed. I'll be alright here." He said quietly. He didn't smile that much. The only time he really smiled was when there was something he was really passionate about. Or at least that's what I saw so far. I'be only been here for a day and a half.

I nodded and stood up, walking out. He didn't say anything, so I kept walking to my room. I walked in and closed the door, letting the warmth of the fire consume me as I walked to the closet. Picking out some of my pajamas, I quickly changed and got in bed, picking out one of those Charles Dickens books Oliver was talking about.

It was so boring...

Seriously! He took 5 ducking pages to describe a chair in the corner. No wonder this guy had woman problems, he probably took forever to do household chores.

After reading all that I could stand of the book (so... The first 10 pages), I sat it on the nightstand and laid back, thinking.

I grinned when I saw it snowing again. That's when I remembered I had my sketch book with me. I jumped out of bed and searched through my luggage, finally finding my sketch book and colored pencils. I sat by the window and quickly sketched the landscape and the night sky, adding as many stars as I could see.

After about an hour it was finished. In my opinion, it reminded me of one of my old choir songs when I was still in school. I signed the bottom and from then on, it was known as "shadows on the stars".