Chapter Eleven: Sacrifice amongst the Brave

Egon Wood ( E Gon )

Theresa Ashdown ( Tha Ris A )

Rayner Moonfall ( Ray Ner )                                                                               

Pet: Bear Ares ( Ar Es )

Ceridwen Vix ( Care A Dwhen )

Pet: Owl Snow ( Snow )

Mali ( Mal E )

Mace Kane ( Mace )

Pet: Horse Nilas ( Neil Ass )

Duzna ( Duz Na )

Vestomer ( Ves Tom Ear )

Adisa Rathmore ( A Dis A )

Salina Mortem ( Sa LI Na )

Lilith Calarook ( Lie Lith Cal A Rook )

Talia and Sapphira ( Tal I A & Saf Fi Ra )

N�~@�

Chapter Eleven: Sacrifice amongst the Brave

Egon coughed viciously, as water jumped from his mouth. Ceridwen wrapped her arm around his to help Egon from the pit of water, before the creatures returned. Through Egon's gagging spat for a breath he tried to speak.

"My...my..."

Ceridwen lowered him to ground and let him grip reality and safety.

"You're what?" She pondered, waiting for Egon to speak.

Egon jumped from his position on the grass and bolted toward the murky pond. Ceridwen raced after him, tackling him just before he reached the water's edge.

"Are you mental?!" Ceridwen roared pinning Egon face down.

"I NEED IT!" He retorted, pushing her off and trying once more to re-enter the luring lake. Ceridwen snatched her bow up and wacked him atop the head, Egon yelped and fell to the ground.

"NEED WHAT?!" She barked looming over him.

"My staff, it's at the bottom..." His voice trailed off, as if he thought it was lost forever.

"Egon, say that next time, BEFORE you take off toward the pool of death..." Ceridwen said as a smile broke across her face. "You had me believing the mermaids had you in their lure." She laughed.

"Ceridwen! This is NOT funny, what if I can't get it back..." He dropped his gaze toward the ground.

"Don't worry we'll get it back." Ceridwen said extending her hand and helped Egon off the ground.

"What? This?" An eerie voice drifted through the air like a vile odor, penetrating into their ears and leaving a stain. Ceridwen and Egon whirled around simultaneously, to see one mermaid glaring from the water, with a sinister smirk resting on her ghoulish face, as she taunted them with Egon's staff.

***

Theresa whipped around and her muddy eyes grew larger at the sight of the massive beast. The Spina's mother was ginormous, the size of four baby Spina's combined.

"...Ray...Rayner...what do we do." Theresa was barely able to push the words out.

Only one word left Rayner's mouth, probably the only one he could think of.