Chapter Sixteen: Making New Friends and Loosing Old Ones

Egon Wood ( E Gon )

Pet: Lion Mercury ( Mer Cur Re)

Theresa Ashdown ( Tha Ris A )

Pet: Panther Nyx ( Nics )

Rayner Moonfall ( Ray Ner )                                                                               

Pet: Bear Ares ( Ar Es )

Ceridwen Vix ( Care A Dwhen )

Pet: Owl Snow ( Snow )

Mali ( Mal E )

Mace Kane ( Mace )

Pet: Horse Nilas ( Neil Ass )

Duzna ( Duz Na )

Vestomer ( Ves Tom Ear )

Adisa Rathmore ( A Dis A )

Salina Mortem ( Sa LI Na )

Lilith Calarook ( Lie Lith Cal A Rook )

Talia and Sapphira ( Tal I A & Saf Fi Ra )

Chapter Sixteen: Making New Friends and Loosing Old Ones

Theresa awoke to the morning bird's song, she combed Nyx's fur and the panther perked up, they then strolled out of the cave to fetch breakfast.

***

Rayner rubbed the sleep from his stormy eyes and yawned. He reached for his sword and his heart stopped, his belt, where his swords were sheathed, was no longer on his person.

He sprung to the air like a jack-in-the-box, his distressed irises abruptly canvassed the surroundings, there was an imprint in the dry leaves where Adisa's body should be, but Adisa herself was vacant.

Rayner flailed his arms, in bitterness, and battered the dirt with his fist. "That lying, cynical─"

"Witch, cheat, con, phony?" Adisa's voice echoed from behind, with a hint of playfulness.

Rayner whirled around, with a splurge of annoyance splattered on his face. Adisa stood, one hand on her hip, one hand holding three decapitated ducks. Rayner's belt dangled from her waist, and a blissful smile resided on her lips.

"You took my, belt and my swords?" Rayner said, flaring with anger.

Adisa took slow striding steps toward Rayner. "Well yeah..." She crouched down and grabbed his chin. "Do you know how hard it is to decapitate a fowl with a whip?"

"Give it back!" Rayner tore his head away from her grip and gritted his teeth, not moved by her humor.

Adisa sighed and started to unbuckle the leather straps of the belt. "Well, it looked better on you anyways." She winked and tossed Rayner the belt.

Rayner stared at her, utterly confused by her flirting. Adisa dropped the ducks on the ground and plopped by the fading fire. "Ready to eat? I hear duck is delicious."

"Never had it..." Rayner knit his eyebrow in disorientation, and squatted next to her.

Adisa's eyes, swirling in a vortex of black, fell into Rayner's blizzard of gray irises. "Well, trying new things isn't always bad." She bit her lip then flashed a fluorescing smile, like a rose blooming after a lifetime without sun and water.

***

Ceridwen's eyes opened and she was pulled from her dreams and dropped into this reality. Egon sat next to her staring at her with an ocean raging in his pupils.