Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Psychopath. In Webster's dictionary it means a personality that manifests as amoral and antisocial behavior, lack of ability to love or establish meaningful

personal relationships. In my version, it means a label society likes to put on a person just because they're different. Harry wasn't a psychopath. Though what people would like to make him out to be he was a normal person.

It all started the second semester of school. The air was crisp and unwelcoming when I woke up. I had a usual routine, brush my teeth, shower, put on an outfit that most girls in high school would label unappealing. I wasn't the girl everyone wanted to be next to in school; the reality was that I had only one friend in the past 3 years that I had been here. This was my last semester and I didn't expect anything to change so late in the game. I found the so called "in crowd" in school very unappealing. Why should you care so much about what people thought of you? If anything I thought that would stop you from what you really wanted to do in life. Still, society has it's way to getting into people's heads like that.

But they did have their magically effects. My mother and father were living proof of it. My mom was the popular, preppy, cheerleader in high school and my dad was her football jock high school sweetheart. Of course my mom wanted the same for me. I was expected to become Prom Queen and head cheerleader. You can imagine her disappointment when I only had one friend all up to my senior year. My parents and I didn't have the best relationship, but I guess you could say that was my fault.

At least when it came to my friend Max Owen I didn't have to worry about that. He took me the way that I was. We met two years ago, I found him in a dumpster at lunchtime when I went to throw away my salad. He was bruised and bloody, and I was the person who put him back together. He wasn't considered popular either, yet more people did talk to him because the wanted his Physics answer. Max being the person he is always gave it to them.

When I pulled into Glen View High school on Monday morning everything felt so different. There was an unfamiliar anxiety lurking in the air. I couldn't tell if it was just me, or if something intense was on its way. Max met me in our usual spot by the trees in the front. I smiled as I saw him standing under the tree hiding his face in his scarf from the brisk cold.

I trudged over to him and waved, "Hey Max."
His foggy glasses were exposed when he finally lifted his head. "Hey Joe."

"We should probably get you inside Kid, before you freeze alive." I chuckled and pulled his arm.

The anxiety I thought of reappeared when I saw Principle Stephens talking to our guidance counselor Mrs. Briggs outside the school. When I took a second look around, I finally saw all the fear on everyone's faces.

"He's a freak!" I heard someone screech behind me.

"I don't want him here." Roared another.

"I wonder what's going on." Max whispered toward me.

I had no words, I just kept looking forward. Nothing important ever happened at Glen View, whatever this was, it had to be huge.

I made eye contact with Principle Stephens, his distressed ones met my confused ones.

"Hey what's going on?" I interrupted whatever conversing that they were doing.

Mrs. Briggs gave me wary eyes, "we have a new student."

"Since when was that ever important? What's really going on?" I knew my tone would soon get me into trouble so I dialed it down, "what's wrong with the new kid?"

Exchanging glances Stephens finally spoke, "he's...different."

"How different?" Max chimed in.