Chapter Four

Ellie's POV

I bit my lip. I never thought I would feel so guilty about something, especially it being about the dark King.

I saw how sad Braxton was, and it broke my heart. I haven't seen him depressed yet. Maybe this is what everyone meant by the frowning king. Not literally frowning, but miserable. I squeeze his hand and gave him a small smile. "I'm so sorry," I whispered.

Braxton took my head and kissed the top of it. He didn't say anything, but I could tell that was his way of saying 'thank you'. He hugged my head for a bit, and at first I just awkwardly dangled there, but then I started to hug him back.

Our hug was broken up by someone clearing their throat. I blushed, and stepped away from Braxton. Two boys about my age were smirking at us. I tried to hide behind Braxton but he held my arms so I couldn't move.

"Ellie, these are my younger brothers Brenden and Brent." He introduced me to them. I cocked my head in confusion, they looked identical. "They're identical twins," Braxton told me like he read my mind.

I blushed and bowed my head. "It's a pleasure to meet you both." I said in a small voice. I was nervous from everyone looking at me. Brenden and Brent just kept giving me a weird look, so I stepped behind Braxton.

"Come on guys, you're freaking her out." I heard Braxton say, but I was too busy pressing my body against his back.

"How old is she? She can't be older than fifteen... isn't she a bit young for you?" One of the twins said. Why does everyone think I'm a child?

"Don't worry, she's about twenty years old... I think." Braxton started mumbling things I couldn't hear. He began to worry. "I met her eight years ago and she about my age, but I actually don't know how old she is."

I came out from behind him, and all three men looked at me. "I'm turned eighteen yesterday. How old are you?" I asked him realizing that  I didn't know how old he was. He was probably nineteen or twenty. But what if he was really old? Like thirty? Probably not because he looks very youthful and full of energy.

"Twenty-two."

Hmm. Older than I originally thought, but not nearly as bad as what I was thinking a moment before. I turned to his brothers. "And how old are you two then?"

Brenden smiled. "We're both twenty." he told me, pointing to Brent and himself. I smiled. It helped knowing that there were people around my age. They stopped giving me the intense stares and seem fairly nice now. Maybe we could be friends.

I felt Braxton's hand wrap around my waist, pulling me to his side. I looked up at him to see his facial expression; it wasn't happy, but it also wasn't angry or depressed. That was probably the best it was ever going to get, so I was satisfied.

"Little brothers, we have to get going, but it was nice talking to you again." he said in his deep voice. I gave him a look of confusion. Wasn't the whole point of this was so I could get to know his family?  We barely had a conversation, I thought. I was about to ask him, but he had already dragged me from them.

Then he introduced me to about fifty other people. Some were distant relatives, and some were leaders of other nearby kingdoms. After a while, I started getting weary. When the last couple left, I tugged on Braxton's arm.

"What, Ellie?"

  "I'm tired, is this over yet?" I whined while sighing. Even though I work long hours on my farm, I never have to do it in this tight dress. It's squeezing around my waist so much it feels like I can't breathe. It's the most uncomfortable thing I've ever worn.

Braxton frowned. "One more family and we're done." he said in a, his version of sweet, voice. I sighed and followed him as he walked to another rich and sophisticated family.

My eyes widened as I saw who's family it was.

It was Fay's.

I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about it. I mean, because of her I disobeyed the law and almost got killed. I was forced to marry Braxton and I was taken away from my home. However, she couldn't have possibly known that all of that would've happened if we played the game. She probably felt bad about the entire thing. It wouldn't be fair to hold it against her.

I gave her a bright smile and curtseyed. "Fay, it's so nice to see you again!"

I thought that Fay and I were friends, but apparently not. Because after I talked to her she snarled and me.

I frowned and stepped closer to Braxton. "Elise, this is Edgar, Ivy, and their daughter Fay," Braxton told me. "They are close family friends."

"It's nice to meet you."

"Aw, Braxton, she's adorable." The lady said. I looked up at her, she seemed nice enough. "Perfect choice, son. I think if we have her as a queen, it will soften your image." The man chuckled.

Fay just glared at me. It mad me very sad to think that we weren't friends anymore. I also wonder what I did wrong.

The lady, Ivy, swatted Fay's elbow. "Fay, aren't you going to say something to your future queen?" she scowled.

Fay gave me a smile, and I'm still not sure if it's sincere, and walked away. "Mother, I'm going to find Brent." she said before she left.

I cocked my head. She knew Brent? Well Braxton did say they were family friends. Maybe they were close friends or something. If they are, I want to ask Brent why Fay is so mad at me. I want to mend our friendship.

Edgar chuckled while shaking his head. "Oh, those two," he sighed. " Anyway, have a good day we are going to our room." he said while taking his wife's hand.

Ivy smiled at me. "Remember, Elise, if you need to talk about anything, our room is only down the hall from yours."

I nodded. I actually didn't know they were staying in the palace, but they all seemed like wonderful people. I tugged Braxton's arm again and he sighed. "Yes, Ellie, we can leave now."

I gave him a grin and practically dragged him out of the room. It wasn't that I was tired, but I wanted to get out of this dress, it was killing me. I also wasn't used to being around that many people, so the whole experience was kind of uncomfortable and awkward for me.

We finally got to the bedroom, but there was a guard waiting outside. It was the same guard who saw me when I was trying to run away. I blushed heavily and turned away, remembering the memory. He looked younger than every person I met today. He might be my age.

"Ellie, this is Damien, your guard. He is to follow you everywhere when I'm not with you." He said sternly.

I opened my mouth to protest but was interrupted before I even spoke. " No objecting. This is for your safety, and to make sure you don't run away or get lost." He spat at me. Tears started forming in my eyes, I didn't understand why he was being so harsh all of a sudden.

"Understood?"

I looked down and nodded. "Yes, your majesty..." I said quietly. Braxton's face softened and he kissed the top of my forehead. "I have to do some things, but I'll be back," he started to leave but turned around and looked at me. "Don't call me that ever again." and then he was gone.

This left me alone with my new guard. He had curly black hair that was cut kind of short. He had very pale skin, like me, but with the greenest eyes I've ever seen. He was attractive, like Braxton, but Braxton gives off a scary vibe that he doesn't.

I didn't realize I was examining him that long until he cleared his throat. I blushed and was about to open my door but his hand stopped mine. "Quickly change, then come out. I need to show my future queen what she's getting into."

I stared at him, shocked. Was this a threat or...?

"Elise, you're going to be our secret weapon."
-------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for reading this chapter of The Dark King
Remember to comment, vote and share!