1 | Castellan Bay

The water slapped against the side of the ship as it lay floating atop the water in Castellan bay. Annabeth stood behind Valdez with a raised eyebrow, watching him try to persuade the Portmaster to lessen the docking fee.

"Ok. How about I give you two doubloons, and the girl." Leo gestured behind him.

Swack! A metal telescope came down on the back of his head. "I am not to be sold, meathead!"

Leo clutched his head and sank down onto the dock and curled up in the fetal position. The Portmaster glanced at Leo, then at the blonde headed woman.

Annabeth stepped over Valdez, who still lay sprawled out on the ground and locked eyes with the Portmaster.

"Four doubloons. Nothing less!" He said.

"One doubloon, and I don't tell the royal navy how you've been stealing from the town treasury."

The man almost choked. He went to write her off, but when he met those stormy gray eyes, he faltered. "Fine. One doubloon. Just get your junk out of here as quickly as possible." The man snuffed. He walked away as briskly as his short legs would take him.

Annabeth sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, relieved but frustrated. This isn't going to be a walk in the park is it?

Leo popped up from the ground. "Good job Lieutenant Annabeth. I should call you next time we have a problem."

Annabeth's features softened and took on a sarcastic air. "You always do, Captain."

"Great! Now where might we find a saloon. A great place to find new recruits, am I right Lieutenant?"

"Of course."

Annabeth followed Leo Valdez, Captain of the Argo II, down through the town of Castellon until they arrived at a rather lovely saloon. The place was brimming with activity. One man sailed through the second story window and landed face first in the dirt. Another was stripped down to just his long johns, hiding behind a barrel of whiskey.

Annabeth chose a table towards the back and sat drinking from her flask, watching to make sure Valdez didn't start a brawl. That is not something they needed right now. What they really needed was a crew.

Just last year Annabeth had agreed to become Leo's lieutenant in hopes of finding treasure. Valdez had drawn her into the old tales of an island that could not be found and treasure beyond belief.

Lucas, an old friend of hers, had said that what she was doing was foolish, and going after something that would only let her down wasn't worth it. After spending so much time with a "half-there" captain, she was starting to believe it.

But still, her gut told her to do it, and that was something she never did.

"Hey there, sweetie."

Annabeth's head snapped up at the sound of the man's voice. "I haven't seen you around before." He said, his voice quite rough.

Annabeth looked him over, taking in the tanned skin, glossy black hair, and dubious eyepatch over his left eye. "And you are?"

"That's none of your concern." Did Annabeth see him snicker? "So what are you doing here in a dump like this?"

"Looking for a crew."

"Oh?" The man raised an eyebrow. "Lookie here. This lady's looking for a mighty crew!" He raised his glass and the room settled to a hush. Annabeth shifted in her chair, hoping Leo was too drunk to realize he was being talked about.

The silence ran on for what seemed like an eternity, and then it broke. In seconds the room was back to drunken boisterous laughter and the smashing of glass.

"Heh... halfwits at the most." The man whispered, looking as if he was having a conversation with himself. The man turned back towards Annabeth. "Lovely meeting you really." He scooped up her hand and kissed it.

Annabeth's face showed none other than disgust, but the man snickered. "I like a girl with spunk." The corner of his mouth curled into a smile and then he vanished, disappearing into the crowded room.

Annabeth watched Leo strike up a conversation with two burly men standing on either side of him. Apparently he made a joke, because both of the men busted out in laughter at the same time. One of them fell off his stool.

Suddenly something blocked her vision and Annabeth's eyes came into focus on a young woman. The woman sat forward, resting her arms on the table. Her hair was tremendously unkempt, but her skin was smooth, almost flawless. "I heard you're looking for a crew? What's in it for me if I join?"

Bold. Annabeth thought. I like her.

🔱

Hooray! The first chapter.
Wow. Such references. Many characters. Big plot. Oy vey. What have I gotten myself into.