2 | An Island that Doesn't Exist

Annabeth sat there a moment, spinning the pencil in her hand. "Treasure."

The woman's eyes narrowed. She had a darkened complexion that gave her eyes a more vibrant color. "That's very vague." She said in distaste. "How long is the voyage?"

The woman listened intently to Annabeth's tale of an island that doesn't exist. A place that no one can find except with the right knowledge. Her interest seemed peeked, but when Valdez came stumbling over with breath as bad as a pigsty, proclaiming he was the captain, the woman busted out laughing and turned to leave.

"Heyy." Leo's words were slurred. "Why can't miss Daisy here join our crew?"

The woman snapped. "My name isn't Daisy, it's Piper!"

Annabeth growled under her breath. "Captain" Leo, was making a mess of things as he usually did. Valdez had tried to capture the young lady on her escape by grabbing her arm, but she smashed a wine bottle over his head and left.

"Annaaaaabeeeeth." Leo moaned, laying on the floor. He rubbed his head with his hands. "Why do woman enjoy hitting me on the head."

"Because," Annabeth said. "You don't know when to lay off."

"Really??" Leo was still very drunk and couldn't walk. So Annabeth payed the two guys Leo had been talking to earlier, and they carried him back to the ship where the two of them would spend the night.

Annabeth watched from the window as the two men laid Leo onto his bed and actually tucked him in. She snickered at the thought.

Her cabin was located at the other side of the ship from Leo's, right under the bow. The small, circular port windows showed the stars sprinkled in the night sky while the constant rocking of the ship was lulling her to sleep.

Tomorrow would be another day full of rum, bars, and babysitting. Maybe they'd even get a crew in the process. Annabeth laid her head down on the bed and squeezed her eyes shut. If only that day would come sooner.

🔱

She rose early that morning and slipped onto the main deck and up into a small perch atop the mast. There she sat, resting under the flag, reading and studying the various books and maps Valdez had given her.

An island that doesn't exist. A difficult voyage indeed.

Suddenly Leo busted out of his cabin in full panic mode. "Annabeth!"

Annabeth looked down from the birds nest to see Valdez standing on the main deck in his skivvies. "What! What is it?"

"I've lost my gold pouch!"

"What!?" Annabeth screeched. Immediately the blonde headed woman started making her way down the rope ladder.

As soon as her boots slammed onto the deck Leo started backing away. "Hey, hey." He was very animated, he waved his hands around and tried to explain how he must have lost it last night at the saloon.

Annabeth was inches away from thoroughly hurting him, but she swallowed her anger and sighed in exasperation.

"We need to get back to The Nightshade, stat."

"The what???" Leo asked.

"The saloon." She looked Leo over. "And put some pants on!"

Leo cringed. "No need to yell lieutenant, I've got a splitting headache."

Annabeth sighed.

It was early in the morning when they arrived, so the place wasn't as busy as it normally would be, though Annabeth noticed a few people that looked like they hadn't moved since last night.

"Zoë. My girl." Valdez flashed that impish smile at the bartender who paused, then continued polishing her glass.

"Captain." She said the word gingerly. "What is it that you need?"

"I was hoping you could do me a favor."

The woman laughed. "It comes at a price. What are ye willing to pay?"

Leo leaned forward on the counter. "That's just it, you see." Leo gestured with his hand and lowered his voice. "My coin bag has been stolen, and I was wondering if you could give us some information on its whereabouts."

"Here at my place?" Zoë glanced at Annabeth. "You're not gonna cause trouble are you?"

"Oh no ma'am." Annabeth said, placing a hand on Leo's shoulder. "We won't be causing any trouble."

Zoë glanced around, then beckoned them closer. "There's this kid that's been hanging around. Tricky son of a- anyway, he tried stealing from my stock about a week ago and I almost caught him, but he slipped away before I could smash his head in."

Annabeth thought about that for a moment. "So we find this kid, and we find the money."

"You do that, and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for."

Both Leo and Annabeth exchanged glances. "Thanks love." Leo said, "Need anything, just ask." He winked and the two of them set off.

🔱

I feel like Annabeth sighs a lot in this fic.