CHAPTER-13: The Phonecall

The two girls were enjoying what was left of their sleepover when the phone rang.

"Sam? Sam pick up the phone" cried Anna still half asleep.

"Why me? You pick it up!" yelled Sam, covering her face with a pillow.

The girls were pushing and shoving at each other until Anna fell off of the bed. She fell with a thud, which totally shattered her attempts at having a peaceful slumber.

"Sam! I'm going to kill you!" shrieked Anna as she hit Sam with another pillow. Then suddenly the continuous phone bells caught her attention. She saw the phone on the bedside table and for a moment, she felt like breaking it for the totally unwanted disturbance that it had caused. But she caught hold of her anger and picked up the receiver.

"Hello? Who's this?" she asked.

"Hello? Is this Samantha Peterson?" asked the woman on the other line. Her voice seemed to be very shaky and unstable, as if she was weeping.

"I'll just give it to her." said Anna, knowing that whatever the matter was, it was pretty grave.

"Sammy, I think it is time for you to wake up!" said Anna, with a kind of fear in her voice that broke Sam's sleep immediately.

"What is it?" whispered Sam, sitting up and crossing her legs while caressing Cubby the bear.

Anna handed over the phone to Sam with the same grave look on her face. Anna's expression almost rattled Sam, who took the receiver from Anna's hand without saying a word.

"Hello? Who's this?" spoke Sam in an almost as shaken up voice as the woman on the phone.

"Samantha, I am Charlotte Peterson speaking. We need to talk." said the woman on the phone.

Anna was surprised to see Sam spring up from the bed and punch the wall of her own room with so much of anger that she almost broke her arm in the process. Sam didn't seem hurt, just very angry.

"What do you want from me?" she demanded as she spoke to the woman on the phone.

She was almost in tears, but Anna knew for a fact that these weren't tears alone. These were tears wrapped up in so much hatred and anger that they would either consume the person Sam was feeling all of this for or they would take Sam down with them. Anna knew for sure that she had to prevent Sam from doing something stupid.

"Samantha darling, it's about your dad." said the woman who broke down on the phone itself.

Sam took a deep breath and calmed down. But this was just a span of silence before the great storm was to come.

"Listen Charlotte Brown, as that's what your real name is. Never ever dare to even think that there is any minute possibility that you could be a Peterson, just because you married my dad for money. Even though you knew that the man that you were going to marry was of your father's age and you were as old as his very own daughter. I have seen very very bad days because of your continuous never-ending charades and as for where my father is concerned, he died the day he left my mother and his own daughter for something he thought to be love, which someone like him is not capable of." Sam kept the phone down as a little tear rolled down her cheek and sat beside Anna while gasping for some air.