Best friends forever

The marriage ceremony is complete and everyone stands with tear stained eyes as Gauri di bids farewell to her friends and family.

Deeksha: Gauri, there is one last ritual left... Dip your hand into this Alta( red paint like liquid) and press your hands on this wall, leaving behind your last mark in this house.

Gauri dips her hand in the Alta.

Gauri: (in her mind) This may be my last mark in this house, but this is a sign of my sacrifice...I am leaving behind my incomplete love, so that the other girls of this house will get their loves...I hope they are stronger than me....

All hug Gauri, while she goes to take blessings from Harshad and Baa.

Harshad: Gauri this was your house and will always remain yours. You may face many problems in your married life, but remember that the doors of this house are always open for you. Like you used to come to me for your problems before, you can still come to me and your cousins. We all love you.

Hearing all this, Gauri di breaks into tears and cries on Harshad's shoulder.

Baa: (whispering) Gauri, when girls go from their childhood house, people say that keep coming back, this is still your house. For you, there is an exception. Your only house is your husband's house. Never come back here for the doors of this house are locked for you. I don't even want your shadow to fall on my children.

Baa says something to Gauri di which makes her infinitely sad. I wish I could hear what Baa told Gauri di. As everyone leaves, I look at Gauri di's hand print on the wall and place my hand over it. It comes out red. I could almost hear the echo of words that Gauri di left behind. That she was leaving a mark of her incomplete love, so that daughters of this house will one day find their true love. I wonder if I'll get it and recall the earlier talk I had with Maa. I remember the tone of finality in her voice as she said that I'll have to marry into the house whose son is the richest. Will there be love for me? Papa, Maa, Ranveer, Deeksha Kaki and everyone her love me so much. Will I get enough love to match theirs? But Maa had also said that love is for fools. Love is the very reason that she doesn't believe in it. Her love betrayed her, but does it happen with everyone? My father betrayed my love, but if not for his leaving us, how would I have got Papa?

Ranveer: (thinks)Everyone is going to have dinner now. I will go to the kitchen and see if there is something for me too.

All the Parekhs as well as the Mehtas are sitting at the dining table. The cousins are chatting as they have food; even Ishani seems to be over her poignant mood. Harshad and Ketan are talking, while Vishakha and Chaitali are comparing each others jewellery. Deeksha has gone to her room as she is not feeling hungry. She is already missing  her princess.

Ketan: So, Harshad are your daughters of age now?

Harshad: Of age? No, Ketan my daughters are going to be children forever. They are in no hurry to grow up. Both are still in college, while Ishani is in her last year.

Ketan: That's good, right? After college I'm sure she'll want to marry. You know my son is 24 and has done a Business Management Course and you may think that every parent says this, but mine is really good looking. I'm sure that once we start looking we'll get lines of girls for him, but I thought why not to ask you first. After all, you have two young daughters and both of them will look perfect with my son.

Harshad: Ketan, Ishani wants to pursue higher studies. She is adamant that she won't marry till she is settled.

Ketan: After marriage, she can continue her studies. But I don't see why she wants to study and work like servants. She is your daughter after all. She will get everything she wants, the moment she wants it. You must pamper her a lot.