Chapter Five- Some Secrets Are Best Kept Secret

"What?" Arizona said looking up at me. Her eyes searched for any sign of me having told a lie.

"I'm gay." I repeated. It was so nice to say it out-loud, so nice to get it off my chest, to have someone to talk to. "I haven't told anyone, you're the only person who knows."

"Wow." Suddenly she burst into laughter and I joined in. We sat there laughing for a good five minutes, whenever either on of us tried to say something we just ended up laughing even more. "I guess you don't think I am 'wrong' then."

"Nope, I would be a little bit of a hypocrite if I said I did." I smiled warmly at her and she returned the smile.

"I'm sorry for not saying anything earlier. I'm not ashamed, it's just..." She trailed off.

"You couldn't face going through the same treatment you received last time."

"Exactly. I wanted people to get to know me before I told them, I wanted them to know that I was still the same person, except, I like girls." She winked at me, making me laugh. "Plus, I like living here, I love that I am really getting to know my dad."

"How long have you known?" I asked her, I have never had the chance to talk to someone else who was gay, it was nice to know that I was not alone, it was nice to have support, to be able to have a conversation with someone who understands what it is I am going through.

Arizona rubbed the back of her neck and sighed, "Since I was about 14. I told my mum then but she told me I was just confused, that puberty and hormones were messing with my mind. I believed her, I mean it made sense. Then I met Annabelle just under two years ago, and that confirmed what I already knew. That I was gay."

"Annabelle, was that the girl you kissed?"

"Yeah. I am not the most sociable person, I prefer to be on my own. But she was new and wouldn't leave me alone. We started hanging out." Arizona continued to rub the back of her neck, "She was the closest thing I had to a best friend, she encouraged me to be more sociable and I followed her advice. But then one day I saw her flirting with one of the boys in our Maths class, and jealousy took over. I went home and put two and two together. The jealousy and how attractive I found her. The next week, when we were at hers, I told her I was gay and that I liked her. She asked me if I had ever kissed a girl. I told her I hadn't, and she told me to kiss her. So I did. The next day everyone had heard the rumour that I was gay and that I had made a move on Annabelle."

"I'm sorry to hear that, it cant have been awful for you." I told her, she just shrugged it off as if it meant nothing. I can't imagine how I would feel if Courtney did that to me, I would be heartbroken, would I be able to shrug it off like that?

"Don't be. She can't really have been my friend." Arizona looked at me then, I mean really looked at me. "It's so weird, I feel like I can tell you anything, but I have only known you a few days." She shook her head in disbelief.

"I feel the same. It's crazy. I've told you stuff that I haven't even told Courtney." I laughed and too, shook my head in disbelief.

"You like her, don't you?" Arizona asked, and though she was still smiling, I could see it wasn't real, it hadn't reached her eyes like it usually did, making them sparkle. Should I tell her the truth? I had already told her my biggest secret, what was the point in lying now.

I sighed, I had said it out-loud plenty of times, but never when someone was close enough to hear. "I love her. I really love her." It's amazing, that feeling of getting something off your chest. It makes you feel a lot better, ready to take on the next obstacle and a little light-headed.